No Man's Land Fort
No Man's Land Fort was a fort built in the Solent as part of the Palmerston Forts. It is 2.2 kilometres (1.4 mi) off the coast of the Isle of Wight and was built in the years 1867 to 1880 to protect Portsmouth. It was built at a cost of £462,500 which, adjusted for inflation, is equivalent to £43,391,356 at 2010 prices.
No Man's Land Fort is almost identical to Horse Sand Fort. It has been used as a luxury home/hospitality centre for high-paying guests – due to the privacy it offers – with an indoor swimming pool and two helipads. In July 2004, Legionella bacteria found in the hotel's water system forced its closure. The Fort was put up for sale in 2005 and again in 2007, but the company collapsed. In March 2008, Harmesh Pooni, claiming to still be the owner, barricaded himself inside the fort in protest against the administrators KPMG.
The property was eventually sold by KPMG, who repossessed the fort as acting administrators of property finance company Lexi Holdings from Mr Pooni, for £910,000 in March 2009. In March 2012, it was purchased by Clarenco (who also own Spitbank Fort and Horse Sand Fort) with the intention of refurbishing it as a hotel.
The 1972 Doctor Who serial The Sea Devils used the fort as a filming location for several scenes.
- ↑ Google Maps
- ↑ "Legionella bacteria found at fort". BBC news. 9 July 2004. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3879659.stm. "[…] now off limits "until the health risk is controlled"."
- ↑ "Converted sea fort hotel for sale". BBC news. 10 July 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6289624.stm.
- ↑ "Who will buy fort used in Doctor's adventure?". The News, Portsmouth. July 9, 2007. http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/latest?articleid=3015713.
- ↑ Ward, David (July 16, 2007). "Bolthole in the Solent goes on sale for £4m". London: The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2127139,00.html. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- ↑ "Besieged man barricaded in fort". BBC news. 7 March 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7284013.stm. "A sea fort […] is under siege from creditors, prompting a businessman to barricade himself inside."
- ↑ "'Bargain' sale of £14m Victorian seafort". BBC News. 2009-07-03. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8132690.stm. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- ↑ "Millionaire snaps up three forts off Portsmouth". 26 March 2012. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17512499. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No Man's Land Fort.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|