Çoban Mustafa Pasha ("Mustafa Pasha the Shepherd"; died 1529) was an Ottoman statesman. Likely born in Bosnia-Herzegovina or Serbian Sandzak, and collected through Devshirme to Janissaries, where he gradually raised through the ranks, he eventually served as kapıcıbaşı, vizier, and beylerbey for the Ottoman Empire during various parts of his life.
After serving as kapıcıbaşı ("chief gatekeeper") for some time, Mustafa was appointed a vizier in 1511, and finally beylerbey (governor) of the Egypt Eyalet (province) of the empire in 1522, serving for one year (1522–1523).
Mustafa Pasha participated in the Siege of Belgrade in 1521 and the Siege of Rhodes the next year, both of them decisive Ottoman victories under sultan Suleiman I. During the Siege of Rhodes, he was the Serdar-ı Ekrem (the rank given to viziers in battle).
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Müderrisoğlu, F., Bâni Çoban Mustafa Paşa ve Bir Osmanlı Şehri Gebze. Vakıflar Dergisi, Sayı: 25, S:67-124, 1995. URL:http://acikerisim.fsm.edu.tr:8080/xmlui/handle/11352/521
- Türk Tarih Kurumu (1996). Belleten. p. 112. https://books.google.com/books?id=aBQWAQAAMAAJ.
- Evli̇ya Çelebi̇ (1988). Evliya Çelebi's Book of Travels: Evliya Çelebi in Diyarbekir. Brill Archive. p. 61. ISBN 978-90-04-08165-9. https://books.google.com/books?id=fpk3AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA61.
- Kaya Şahin (29 March 2013). Empire and Power in the Reign of Süleyman: Narrating the Sixteenth-Century Ottoman World. Cambridge University Press. pp. 53–54. ISBN 978-1-107-03442-6. https://books.google.com/books?id=FxkYVnznGXAC&pg=PA54.
- "The Ottomans". Egypt State Information Service. http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/Templates/Articles/tmpArticles.aspx?ArtID=1669. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- Süreyya, Bey M, Nuri Akbayar, and Seyit A. Kahraman. Sicill-i Osmanî. Beşiktaş, İstanbul: Kültür Bakanlığı ile Türkiye Ekonomik ve Toplumsal Tarih Vakfı'nın ortak yayınıdır, 1996. Print.
|Ottoman Governor of Egypt
Hain Ahmed Pasha
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|