The Żyrafa Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żyrafa (i.e. Giraffe Group)) was a group of military units of Armia Krajowa, which fought during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 in the Sub district II of Żoliborz (of Armia Krajowa), which included the Żoliborz district of Warsaw.
Composition and command
Commander - sec. lieutenant Ryszard Wołczyński pseudonym "Tatar",
- 1st company - commanded by sec. lieutenant Marian Mehrenhole pseudonym "Wiktor",
- 2nd company - commanded by sec. lieutenant Jan Zaliwski pseudonym "Jan";
- 3rd company - commanded by sec. lieutenant Kazimierz Woyde pseudonym "Sikora".
Course of combat in the Warsaw Uprising 1944
The group fought in Aleje Wojska Polskiego, in Stołeczna street, in Plac Henkla, in the Monastery of Zmartwychwstanki Sisters (the so-called "Zmartwychwstanki Fortress") in Krasińskiego street, where savage and bloody fights were waged. In the crossing of Krasińkiego and Stołeczna streets there was an access hatch into the sewer, by which communication with the Old Town was kept.
Among others, Rajmund Kazimierz Łaszczyński fought in the group.
- Żubr Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żubr)
- Żmija Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żmija)
- Żaglowiec Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żaglowiec)
- Żniwiarz Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żniwiarz
- Żbik Group (Polish: Zgrupowanie Żbik)