|10th Virginia Cavalry Regiment|
Two soldiers of the regiment
|Active||May 1862 – April 1865|
|Branch||Confederate States Army|
The 10th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry regiment raised in Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. It fought mostly with the Army of Northern Virginia.
Virginia's 10th Cavalry Regiment, formerly called 1st Cavalry Regiment, Wise Legionand 8th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, was organized in May 1862. Many of the men were from Richmond and Albermarle, Rockingham and Henrico counties.
The unit served in Hampton's, W.H.F. Lee's, Chambliss' and Beale's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. After fighting in the Seven Days Battles, it saw action at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe and Mine Run. The regiment was involved in The Wilderness Campaign, the defense of Richmond and Petersburg, and the Appomattox Courthouse operations.
The unit took 236 effectives to Gettysburg and surrendered with 3 officers and 19 men. Its commanders were Colonels Robert A. Caskie, William B. Clement, and J. Lucius Davis; and Lieutenant Colonel Zachariah S. McGruder.
Captain William Kable of the 10th Virginia was also the founder of the Kable School, later Staunton Military Academy, many of the facilities of which are now in use by Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Virginia.
Soldiers of the 10th Virginia[edit | edit source]
- Airstrop,Jackson /Dring,Tom /Goodloe,Benton /Humphrey,John /Mann,Richard C. /Rudasyl,James
- Aplin,Ned /Druen,J.A. /Goodman,D. /Johnson,Lewis B. /Martin,Samuel W. /Rudisil,John
- Baber,James R. /Durrett,Frank /Goodman,Harris /Johnson,William A. /Martin,T. R. /Schermerhorn, Egmont P.
- Bates/Robert H. /Durrett,Henry /Goodwin,John /Kable,William H. /Martin,Walker /Schermerhorn, John P. /Scott, Jack
- Boyd,A.P. /Durrett,James /Goodwin,Lewis /Kennan,Charles /Martin,Washington /Scott,James
- Burton,Cliff /Durrett,Mark /Goodwin,Warwick /Kennan,John /Maupin,Charles /Scott,James McClure
- Burton,John H. /Durrett,William /Grabble,G. H. /Kennedy,Hardon /Milton,Robert /Scott,John Zachery
- Carr,John /Edge,Benjamin /Grayson,John /Kenny,D. /Moon,J. Summerfield /Scott,Richmond Lewis
- Carr,Tom /Edge,John E. /Hall,Henry /Key,William /Morris,John /Shelton,Cliff
- Collins,George /Edge,Phillip /Hall,John /Kincaid,Clark /Nash,Alexander /Shelton,John C.
- Collins,Jeff /Elsom,William /Hall,Lucian /Lane,William /Nash,John /Shepard,Richard
- Collins,John /Elson,John /Hall,Richard /Lewis,John M. /O'Brien,John /Shepard,Thomas
- Collins,Press /Fears,George /Hamner,J. N. /Lewis,John O. /Oliver,John H. /Smith,Cary
- Collins,Washington /Ferguson,Frank /Hamner,Nick /Lipscomb,Campbell /Omohundro,Calvin /Smith,Edward
- Cosby,T.J. /Ferguson,James /Harden,Henry /Lobban,William /Page,Robert /Smith,John
- Coulter,George /Fox,Jobe /Harmon,William /McCue,James /Powell,Leonard /Smith,J. Massie
- Dettor,Ad /Fretwell,Bright /Harris,W. C. /McCue,William /Powell,Levi /Smith,Makry
- Dettor,John /Fretwell,Tom /Head,Oscar /McGee,Junius /Powell,Lewis /Smith,Rodes /Hege, Zachariah George
- Dettor,Robert /Garland,Peter W. /Herndon,James /Mann,Auburn /Ranson,John /Smith,Tom
- Dettor,William /Giles,Joseph H. /Hicks,William /Mann,J. Legrand /Robert,Milton /Smith,William
- Dillard, George /Goodloe,Ad /Hopkins,William /Mann,James L. /Rogers,B. F. /Smith,Willis/Rumer,Solomon
- Dillard,Jesse /Goodloe,A. M. /Hudson,Charles /Mann,John /Rogers,James
References[edit | edit source]
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|