The flotilla proceeded to Malta in June 1942 as part of the Malta Convoy Operation Harpoon. The four sweepers cleared the approaches to Grand Harbour and led the Harpoon convoy into Malta. During its service in Malta the flotilla was known as 14th/17th Minesweeper Flotilla. The flotilla participated in the famous Malta Convoy Operation Pedestal during August 1942, which included the rescue of the oil tanker SS Ohio, for which Lt J. A. Pearson of HMS Rye was awarded the DSC.
14th/17th Minesweeper Flotilla, Malta, August 1942
- HMS Speedy - Lt Cdr J. C. Brooks RN
- HMS Hebe (J 24) - Lt Cdr G. Mowatt RN
- HMS Rye (J 76) - A/Lt Cdr J. A. Pearson RNR
- HMS Hythe (J 194) - Lt Cdr L. B. Miller RN
- Commander Minesweepers Malta, Cdr J. J. Jerome RN, also in HMS Speedy
- Warships of World War II, by H. T. Lenton & J. J. Colledge, pub. Ian Allan Ltd.
- Malta Convoy, by P. Shankland & A. Hunter, pub. Collins (1961).
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|