|19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian)|
Insignia of 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian)
|Active||1944 - 1945|
|Part of||VI SS Army Corps (Latvian)|
|Engagements||World War II|
|Latvian legionnaires Armshield|
The 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian) was an Infantry Division of the Waffen SS during World War II. It was the second Latvian division formed in January 1944, after its sister unit, the 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Latvian) with which it formed the Latvian Legion. It was surrounded in the Courland Pocket at the end of the war when it surrendered to the Red Army.
Formation[edit | edit source]
The 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian) was formed in January 1944, from 2 SS Infantry Brigade with the addition of a newly raised third regiment, Waffen Grenadier Regiment 46 (Latvian No. 6). Simultaneously, the designations of the two other grenadier regiments were changed from 39 and 40 to 42 and 43 respectively.
Commander[edit | edit source]
The commander of the 2nd SS Infantry Brigade, SS-Oberführer Hinrich Schuldt became the first commander of the division. After Schuldt was killed in action on 15 March 1944, SS-Standartenführer Friedrich-Wilhelm Bock temporarily took command, being replaced on April 13 by SS-Oberführer Bruno Streckenbach, who led the division until the end of war.
Order of battle[edit | edit source]
- Waffen-Grenadier Regiment der SS 42, (Voldemārs Veiss, later Nikolajs Galdiņš)
- Waffen-Grenadier Regiment der SS 43, (Roberts Osis)
- Waffen-Grenadier Regiment der SS 44, (Rūdolfs Kociņš)
- Waffen Artillerie Regiment 19
- SS Füsilier Battalion 19
- SS Panzerjäger Battalion 19
- SS Flak Battalion 19
- SS Pionier Battalion 19
- SS Nachschub Troop 19
- SS Medical Battalion 19
- SS Field Post Department 19
- SS Signals Battalion 19
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of Knight's Cross recipients 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian)
- 15th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Latvian)
- List of German military units of World War II
References[edit | edit source]
- Silgailis, Arthur - Latvian Legion ISBN 0-912138-35-1
- Wendel, Marcus. "19. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (lettische Nr. 2)". Axis History. Archived from the original on 2009-05-13. http://www.webcitation.org/5gkMNbrRC. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|