|Active||September 1993 - Present|
|Role||Close Mechanical Support|
Overall - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers|
Brigade Level - 1st Strike Brigade
The 1st Battalion REME is one of the two close support battalions of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. The battalion was formed in 1993 when the following units were merged: 4 Close Support Company, 12 General Support Company, Headquarters Company from 12 Armoured Workshop. These units merged and were immediately assigned to the 1st (UK) Armoured Division as the second line support battalion. Upon formation the battalion was stationed in Mercer Barracks, Osnabrück.
The battalion's first major deployment was on Operation Telic 6 as the National Support Element from May - October 2005. When the battalion returned it started training for another deployment, which followed from October 2007 - April 2008 when on Operation Herrick 7.
In the middle of 2008 the battalion was renamed as 1st (Close Support) Battalion and moved to Megiddo Lines, Catterick Garrison. The battalion later deployed on their last deployment to Afghanistan from April - October 2010 on Operation Herrick 12.
In Mid 2013 the battalion along with the Heavy Cavalry and Cambrai Band marched through Richmond, Yorkshire on their return from their last deployment to Afghanistan. On 26 June 2015 the battalion was awarded the Freedom of Stockton, where they were supported by members of their paired battalion 102 Battalion (Volunteers).
Today the battalion is still stationed in Catterick Garrison. Like most REME battalions, the battalion is paired with 102 Battalion (Volunteers). After the Army 2020 refines the battalion will now support the 1st Strike Brigade. In addition to joining the Strike Brigade, the battalion also leaves the control of the disbanded 102nd Logistic Brigade.
- Battalion Headquarters at Mercer Barracks, Osnabrück, now Catterick Garrison
- Headquarters Company
- 4 Close Support Company
- 12 General Support Company
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 British Army units from 1945 on - Major Units
- ↑ Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Regiment, 1 Close Support Battalion (REME)
- ↑ 1 (CS) Battalion REME exercised the Freedom of Stockton-on-Tees this afternoon
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 army-2020-refine-orbat-2.pdf
- ↑ Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers | The British Army
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 1 Close Support Battalion - British Army Website