|First Scout Ranger Regiment|
Pin Badge of the Scout Rangers
|Active||November 25, 1950 - Present|
|Allegiance||Republic of the Philippines|
|Role||Airborne operations, Direct Action, Reconnaissance, Unconventional Warfare|
|Size||4 Battalions, 20 Companies. Total is 5000 soldiers|
|Part of||Under the Philippine Army Special Operations Command (PASOC)|
Fort Andres Bonifacio, Makati City |
Camp Tecson, San Miguel, Bulacan (Main)
|Nickname(s)||Musangs, FSRR, Strikers, Rangers, SR, Scout Ranger|
Operation Enduring Freedom - Philippines|
Anti-guerrilla operations against the NPA and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front
|Decorations||Presidential Streamer Award|
|Col. Rene Glen O. Paje, INF (GSC), PA|
|Shoulder Sleeve Insignia||150px|
|Scout Ranger Qualification Badge||60px|
|Officer Beret Flash||100px|
|Enlisted Beret Flash||100px|
The Scout Rangers, known officially as the First Scout Ranger Regiment, is a Philippine Army Special Operations Command unit, and specializes in anti-guerrilla warfare. The regiment has been boasted as one of the world's best anti-guerrilla fighters.
History[edit | edit source]
The Scout Ranger Regiment was born on November 25, 1950 under the command of former AFP Vice Chief of Staff and Defense Secretary Rafael M. Ileto. Named after both the Alamo Scouts and the US Army Rangers, the unit was created due to a growing need to counter the Hukbalahap Guerrillas and its rebellion with a force trained in small unit actions. Scout Rangers participated in the December 1989 coup attempt against the Corazon Aquino - Aquino Administration. Led by Captain Danilo Lim, Major Abraham Purugganan and Lieutenant Colonel Rafael Galvez, some 2500 rangers took over Makati in the most destructive coup attempt against the Aquino Administration, which left hundreds of civilians and soldiers dead, and hundreds more injured.
Scout Rangers played a major role in capturing the MILF rebel camp during the all out war against the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
With the rise of guerrilla and terrorist activities in the Philippines, the Scout Rangers have teamed up with the Light Reaction Battalion to take on more responsibility in internal security duties.
Units[edit | edit source]
The following are subordinate battalions and companies of the 1st Scout Rangers.
Battalions[edit | edit source]
- 1st Scout Ranger Battalion
- 2nd Scout Ranger Battalion
- 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion
- 4th Scout Ranger Battalion
- Scout Ranger Training Center (Scout Ranger School)
Companies[edit | edit source]
- 1st Scout Ranger Company "We Dare"
- 2nd Scout Ranger Company "Venceremos"
- 3rd Scout Ranger Company "Terminator"
- 4th Scout Ranger Company "Final Option"
- 5th Scout Ranger Company "Salaknib"
- 6th Scout Ranger Company "The Cutting Edge"
- 7th Scout Ranger Company "In Hoc Signo Vinces"
- 8th Scout Ranger Company "Destreure Hostis Deus"
- 9th Scout Ranger Company "Angat sa Iba!" ("Above all others!")
- 10th Scout Ranger Company "We Lead" (Ultimus Fortis)
- 11th Scout Ranger Company "Pericoloso"
- 12th Scout Ranger Company "Always Ready"
- 13th Scout Ranger Company "Warrior"
- 14th Scout Ranger Company "Mabalasik"
- 15th Scout Ranger Company "Mandirigma" ("Fighters" or "Warriors")
- 16th Scout Ranger Company "Mabangis" ("Vicious")
- 17th Scout Ranger Company "Mabagsik" ("Fierce")
- 18th Scout Ranger Company "Makamandag" ("Venomous")
- 19th Scout Ranger Company "Dimalupig" ("Unbeatable")
- 20th Scout Ranger Company "Hellcat"
- 21st Scout Ranger Company "Mapangahas" ("Turab")
- 75th Scout Ranger Company "El Tribu" ("The tribe")
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- SPECIAL UNITS. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- Strike Musang's Home Page.. Retrieved on November 1, 2007. Archived 2009-10-22.
- One Brave Man. Retrieved on November 4, 2008.
- MUTINY BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF 1989 SIEGE. Retrieved on November 4, 2008.
- Light Reaction Company. Retrieved on November 1, 2007. Archived 2009-10-22.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|