|22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Special Operations Force|
|Garrison/HQ||Joint Base Lewis–McChord|
|Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Magruder|
|22d Special Tactics Squadron emblem (approved 16 July 1999)|
|1722d Combat Control Squadron emblem (approved c. December 1986)|
The 22d Special Tactics Squadron is a Special Tactics unit of the United States Air Force Special Operations Command, based at Joint Base Lewis–McChord.
Constituted and activated in 1984 as the 1722d Combat Control Squadron at McChord Air Force Base (later Joint Base Lewis–McChord), it participated in Operation Just Cause and the Gulf War. The squadron was redesignated the 62d Combat Control Squadron in 1992 and the 22d Special Tactics Squadron in 1996, when it became part of the 720th Special Tactics Group in 1996. The 22d STS has fought in the ongoing War in Afghanistan and the Iraq War.
The 1722d Combat Control Squadron was constituted and activated on 1 July 1984 at McChord Air Force Base, assigned to the Twenty-Second Air Force. It fought in Operation Just Cause, the United States invasion of Panama, in December 1989 and January 1990. From 17 January to 11 April 1991, the 1722d fought in Operation Desert Storm, the liberation of Kuwait during the Gulf War. On 1 March it became part of the 1725th Combat Control Group. The squadron became part of the 62d Operations Group on 1 June 1992 and was redesignated the 62d Combat Control Squadron.
On 1 May 1996, the squadron was redesignated the 22d Special Tactics Squadron and became part of the 720th Special Tactics Group. The squadron fought in the War in Afghanistan and the Iraq War. For actions in deployments to Afghanistan in 2006 and 2007, Combat Controllers Technical Sergeant Scott Innis and Staff Sergeants Sean Harvell and Evan Jones were awarded the Silver Star. On 23 January 2013, Combat Controller Staff Sergeant Adam Krueger was awarded the Silver Star for calling in airstrikes on insurgents in Afghanistan while under fire.
In June 2014, Lieutenant Colonel Michael Evancic took command of the squadron, replacing Colonel Thad Allen. Between 14 and 15 July it participated in exercises with the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. Combat Controller Technical Sergeant Matthew McKenna was awarded the Silver Star on 18 August for coordinating airstrikes on insurgents in Afghanistan while under fire. On 17 December pararescueman Master Sergeant Ivan Ruiz was awarded the Air Force Cross for saving the lives of two wounded Army Special Forces teammates on 10 December 2013 while deployed to Kandahar Province in Afghanistan with the 22nd STS. In 2015 the squadron was involved in airfield assessment missions in Africa. On 16 November 2016, Combat Controller Staff Sergeant Keaton Thiem was awarded the Silver Star for coordinating airstrikes under enemy fire on 22 February of that year in Parwan Province. As of August 2017 it was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Magruder.
- Constituted as 1722d Combat Control Squadron and activated on 1 July 1984
- Redesignated 62d Combat Control Squadron on 1 June 1992
- Redesignated 22d Special Tactics Squadron on 1 May 1996
- Twenty-Second Air Force, 1 July 1984
- 1725th Combat Control Group, 1 March 1991
- 62d Operations Group, 1 June 1992
- 720th Special Tactics Group, 1 May 1996–present
Awards and campaigns
|Gallant Unit Citation||1 January 2006 – 31 December 2007||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Meritorious Unit Award||1 January 2008 – 30 September 2009||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Meritorious Unit Award||1 October 2009–30 September 2011||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award w/Combat "V" Device||1 September 2001 – 31 August 2003||22nd Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 July 1986 – 30 June 1988||1722d Combat Control Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||14 June – 3 July 1991||1722d Combat Control Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 August 1995 – 31 July 1997||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 August 1997 – 31 July 1999||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 September 1999 – 31 August 2001||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||1 October 2012 – 30 September 2014||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Streamer||Campaign||Dates||Notes|
|Panama||20 December 1989–31 January 1990||1722d Combat Control Squadron|
|Liberation and Defense of Kuwait||17 January 1991 – 11 April 1991||1722d Combat Control Squadron|
|Consolidation II||1 October 2006 – 30 November 2009||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Consolidation III||1 December 2009 – 30 June 2011||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Iraqi Sovereignty||1 January 2009 – 31 August 2010||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
|Iraqi New Dawn||1 September 2010 – 15 December 2011||22d Special Tactics Squadron|
- Dollman, David (15 May 2017). "22 Special Tactics Squadron (AFSOC)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. http://www.afhra.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/977657/22-special-tactics-sq-afsoc/.
- "Approved insignia for: 1722nd Combat Control Squadron". National Archives Catalog. December 3, 1986. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6412529. Retrieved January 1, 2018.
- Cooper, Amy (20 December 2007). "Combat controllers receive Silver Star, Bronze Stars, Purple Hearts, Air Force Combat Action Medals" (in en-US). Air Force Special Operations Command Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/163281/combat-controllers-receive-silver-star-bronze-stars-purple-hearts-air-force-com/.
- Wicker, Kirsten (30 April 2010). "Combat controllers contributions honored in ceremony: Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, Purple Hearts awarded to 11 Airmen" (in en-US). 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/162913/combat-controllers-contributions-honored-in-ceremony-silver-stars-bronze-stars/.
- Marquez, Belena S. (29 January 2013). "AF's most combat-decorated unit since Vietnam War honors latest heroes". Air Force Special Operations Command Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/162639/afs-most-combat-decorated-unit-since-vietnam-war-honors-latest-heroes/.
- Jackson, Russ (4 June 2014). "The 22nd Special Tactics Squadron welcomes a new commander". 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/877964/the-22nd-special-tactics-squadron-welcomes-a-new-commander/.
- Jackson, Russ (16 July 2014). "Airmen and Soldiers conduct joint training". 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/877963/airmen-and-soldiers-conduct-joint-training/.
- Jackson, Russ (19 August 2014). "Silver Star awarded to 22nd STS Airman". 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/877961/silver-star-awarded-to-22nd-sts-airman/.
- Savage, Craig (December 17, 2014). "PJ’s extraordinary heroism earns an Air Force Cross". Air Force News Service. http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/558401/pjs-extraordinary-heroism-earns-an-air-force-cross.aspx?source=GovD. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- Chacon, Tim (9 February 2015). "Deployed Special Tactics Airmen support African orphanage". 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/565668/.
- Conroy, Ryan (16 November 2016). "Combat controller continues Special Tactics legacy of valor". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1007426/combat-controller-continues-special-tactics-legacy-of-valor/.
- Jimenez, Jacob (1 August 2017). "Airmen learn about joint leadership". 62d Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1263631/airmen-learn-about-joint-leadership/.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:22nd Special Tactics Squadron.|
- Wivell, Todd (12 September 2012). "McChord Field, family, friends remember combat controller". 62nd Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/162669/mcchord-field-family-friends-remember-combat-controller/.
- Young, Leah (16 June 2010). "Special Tactics Squadron double amputee makes historic jump". 62nd Airlift Wing Public Affairs. http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/162902/special-tactics-squadron-double-amputee-makes-historic-jump/.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|