|266th Rifle Division|
|Decorations||Order of Suvorov 2nd class|
History[edit | edit source]
The 266th Rifle Division was first established at Kaluga as a motor rifle division in July 1941. It was wiped out at Kiev in September 1941. The 467th Rifle Division started forming at Stalingrad in the North Caucasus Military District in December 1941. On 22 December the division was redesignated at the 266th Rifle Division. The division was moved to Stalingrad. The division fought at the Second Battle of Kharkov in May 1942. Afterwards, it was merged with the 417th Rifle Division in May 1942.
It was recreated at Kuibyshev in August 1942. It was composed of the 1000th, 1006th and 1008th Rifle Regiments as well as the 832nd Artillery Regiment. It was part of the 14th Guards Rifle Corps. The division fought at Stalingrad. It fought in Ukraine, in the Lvov-Sandomierz and Iasi-Kishinev operations, and at Berlin. It was with the 5th Shock Army's 26th Guards Rifle Corps, part of the 1st Belorussian Front in May 1945.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "266-I (p. 1942) Artemovsk-Berlin Red Banner Order of Suvorov II grade Infantry Division" (in Russian). http://samsv.narod.ru/Div/Sd/sd266/main3.html. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Sharp, Charles (1996). Soviet Order of Battle, Vol IX. George F. Nafziger.
- Forczyk, Robert (2013-01-01) (in en). Kharkov 1942: The Wehrmacht Strikes Back. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 9781780961576. https://books.google.com/books?id=_7GfAwAAQBAJ.
- Nafziger, George F. Russian Forces Stalingrad Area November 1942
- Glantz, David M. (2014-02-04) (in en). From the Don to the Dnepr: Soviet Offensive Operations, December 1942 - August 1943. Routledge. ISBN 9781135181307. https://books.google.com/books?id=vAnKAgAAQBAJ.
- Rebentisch, Ernst (2014-05-14) (in en). The Combat History of the 23rd Panzer Division in World War II. Stackpole Books. ISBN 9780811746410. https://books.google.com/books?id=8_2qI-n03zcC&pg=PA303&lpg=PA303&dq=266th+Rifle+Division&source=bl&ots=PYvIojg4bE&sig=lOG3Uwe2nQFLYtBk05-cvMWBt7o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp1_qElYHKAhXHMGMKHeoqCJA4ChDoAQgdMAE#v=onepage&q=266th%2520Rifle%2520Division&f=false.
- Beevor, Antony (2003-04-29) (in en). The Fall of Berlin 1945. Penguin. ISBN 9781101175286. https://books.google.com/books?id=JSi86mzy64EC.
- Antill, Peter (2005-01-01) (in en). Berlin 1945: End of the Thousand Year Reich. Osprey Publishing. p. 24. ISBN 9781841769158. https://books.google.com/books?id=vAzgsCDUky0C.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|