|28th Mechanized Corps|
The 28th Mechanized Corps was formed in March 1941 in Yerevan, part of the Transcaucasian Military District. The corps included the previously formed 6th Tank Division at Vagharshapat, the 54th Tank Division at Leninakan, and the 236th Motorized Division at Ashtarak. The 54th Tank Division was reorganized from the 17th Light Tank Brigade. The 236th Motorized Division was formed from the 41st Light Tank Brigade. The corps was commanded by Major General Vasily Novikov. Its chief of staff was Kombrig Nikolai Trufanov.
On 22 June 1941, the corps had 869 tanks, including 131 flamethrower tanks. These were mostly T-26 tanks. The corps was numerically stronger than other higher-numbered mechanized corps due to its location on the Soviet border. The 47th Army was formed around the divisions of the corps on 1 August according to an order dated 26 July, under Novikov's command. The 236th Motorized Division became the 236th Rifle Division, without its tank regiment. The 47th Army fought in the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran in late August.
- Drig, Yevgeny (12 March 2007). "28 механизированный корпус" (in Russian). http://mechcorps.rkka.ru/files/mechcorps/pages/28_meh.htm.
- Glantz 2005, p. 658.
- Glantz Companion 2005, p. 56.
- "47-я армия" (in Russian). Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. http://victory.mil.ru/rkka/units/03/55.html.
- Glantz, David M. (2005). Colossus Reborn: The Red Army at War : 1941-1943. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. ISBN 9780700613533. https://books.google.com/books?id=YwBoAAAAMAAJ.
- Glantz, David M. (2005). Companion to Colossus Reborn: Key Documents and Statistics. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas. ISBN 9780700613595. https://books.google.com/books?id=rAJnAAAAMAAJ.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|