|2nd Arkansas Infantry (30 Day Volunteers) (Confederate)|
Arkansas state flag
|Country||Confederate States of America|
|Engagements||American Civil War|
|Arkansas Confederate Infantry Regiments|
|2nd Arkansas Infantry Regiment||2nd Arkansas Consolidated Infantry Regiment|
The 2nd Regiment Arkansas Regiment, 30-Day Volunteers (infantry), may not have completed its organization. The only records which have survived are from the 1st Battalion of this regiment. Only the records of the four companies of the 1st Battalion of the 2nd Regiment are extant. Four companies from northeast Arkansas constituted the 1st Battalion. The companies enlisted for 30 days of emergency service on November 18, and were discharged on December 18, 1861.
- Company A – Capt. John H. Miers’ company from Jackson County.
- Company B – "High Repellers" – Capt. W. T. High’s company from Prairie (and present-day Lonoke) counties. This company appears to have originated as Company G, 50th Militia Regiment of Prairie County.
- Company C – Capt. James R. Morris’ company from Independence and present-day Cleburne counties, and
- Company D – Capt. Thomas G. Shinpock’s company from present-day Woodruff County.
Release from Service
The men of Companies A, B and C returned to their respective homes after being discharged. The men of Company D stayed on to enlist in Confederate service for one year and became Company K of the 14th Arkansas Infantry Regiment (McCarver's). No colonel or lieutenant-colonel was ever assigned to the 2nd Regiment. The only field-grade officer mentioned in the record is a Major Allen, commanding the 1st Battalion, 2nd Regiment.
- List of Arkansas Civil War Confederate units
- Lists of American Civil War Regiments by State
- Confederate Units by State
- Arkansas in the American Civil War
- Arkansas Militia in the Civil War
- Howerton, Bryan, "2nd Arkansas Regiment, 30-Day Volunteers, CSA", Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page, Accessed 27 July 2011, http://www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/2volfas.html
- Arkansas Military Department Records, List of Commissioned Officers in State Militia 1827–1862, Microfilm Roll 00000038-8, Page 449
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Home Page
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
- The Arkansas History Commission, State Archives, Civil War in Arkansas
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|