|2nd Panzergrenadier Division|
2nd Panzergrenadier Division insignia
|Active||1 July 1956 - 31 March 1994|
|Country||Federal Republic of Germany|
|Part of||German III Corps|
|Nickname(s)||Hessische Division, Die Zwote|
The 2nd Panzergrenadier Division (2. Panzergrenadierdivision) was a West German mechanized infantry formation. It was part of the III Corps of the Bundeswehr, which also incorporated in 1985 the 5th Panzer Division and 12th Panzer Division. III Corps was part of NATO's Central Army Group (CENTAG), along with the Bundeswehr's II Corps and the American V and VII Corps. In the wake of military restructuring brought about by the end of the Cold War, the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division was disbanded in 1994.
The division was constituted as the 2nd Grenadier Division in Kassel on July 1, 1956 as part of the II Corps (then called "Army Staff II") of the Bundeswehr. At that time, it commanded the "A2" and "B2" battle-groups. In 1957, the division was subordinated to the German III Corps and one year later it received a third battle-group, "C2". The battle-groups later became the 6th Panzer, 5th Panzergrenadier, and 4th Panzergrenadier Brigades. As part of an army reorganization in 1959, the division was renamed the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division and division headquarters was quartered at Marburg.
In 1970, the division was renamed the 2nd Jäger (light infantry) Division. In 1974, the division headquarters was moved back to Kassel. The division once again became the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division in 1980. Following the end of the Cold War, the 2nd Panzergrenadier Division was disbanded in 1994.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
|Nr.||Name||Start of command||End of command|
|10||Fritz von Westermann||1976||1979|
|9||Carl-Gero von Ilsemann||1971||1976|
References[edit | edit source]
- Isby and Kamps, Armies of NATO's Central Front, Jane's Publishing Company, 1985, p.196
Literature[edit | edit source]
- Erinnerungsbuch 2. Panzergrenadierdivision, Herausgeber: 2. Panzergrenadierdivision (Major i. G. Dr. phil. Gert-Detlef Feddern), erschienen beim Verlag Moritz Diesterweg, Frankfurt am Main, 1962
- 2. Panzergrenadierdivision/Die "Zwote"/Eine Chronik der Geschichte der "Hessischen Division", 1. Auflage 1994, Herausgeber: Kameradschaft 2. Panzergrenadierdivision e. V.
[edit | edit source]
- Die Geschichte der „Hessischen Division“ 2. Panzergrenadierdivision die „Zwote“ auf Kameradschaft 2. PzGrenDiv Stand 3. Februar 2008
- Beschreibung auf www.relikte.com
- Die Geschichte der Division im Bundesarchiv
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|