|327th Air Division|
Emblem of the 327th Air Division
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Role||Command and Control|
|Part of||Pacific Air Forces|
Republic of China (Taiwan)
The 327th Airlift Division (327th AD) is an inactive United States Air Force air division. It was assigned to Pacific Air Forces' Thirteenth Air Force throughout its existence. It was last stationed at Taipei Air Station (Taipei AS) in Gongguan, Taipei, Taiwan. It was inactivated on 7 January 1976.
The division was established as the 327th Air Division on 22 June 1957, and activated on 1 July 1957 at Andersen AFB, Guam. It then assumed responsibility for the defense of the Mariana Islands against air attack. To accomplish this mission, the division controlled the 832d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, and the 41st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron (flying F-86 Sabres). In addition to Air Force training, these units also trained with naval organizations and participated in military exercises. It was discontinued on 8 March 1960.
On 8 February 1966, the division assumed responsibility for Air Force units in the Taiwan Island area, being stationed at Taipei AS, Taiwan. It was a redesignation of the previous Air Task Force 13 (Provisional). Air Task Force 13 had been active as early as 1955, under the commander of then-Brigadier General Benjamin O. Davis, Jr., who at the time was Vice Commander, Thirteenth Air Force, with additional duty as Commander, Air Task Force 13. In this form it was affiliated with the United States Taiwan Defense Command.
Until January 1976, the revived 327th Air Division provided logistics, administrative, and service support for military and U.S. Government agencies on Taiwan. In addition, it coordinated air defense operations and plans with the Republic of China Air Force to integrate combined forces into the overall Pacific Command. In fulfilling its mission, the 327th participated in numerous military exercises such as Eagle, Lark, and Blue Sky. It was inactivated on 7 January 1976.
- Established as 327th Air Division on 22 Jun 1957
- Activated on 1 Jul 1957
- Discontinued on 8 Mar 1960
- Organized on 8 Feb 1966
- Inactivated on 7 Jan 1976
- Thirteenth Air Force, 1 Jul 1957-8 Mar 1960; 8 Feb 1966-7 Jan 1976.
- Attached 8 February 1966-1 November 1968
- Assigned 1 November 1968-31 May 1971
- 374th Tactical Airlift Wing: 31 May 1971 – 15 November 1973.
- These units were equipped with the C-130 Hercules, 1966-1973, and the C-47/C-54 Skytrain, 1971-1972.
- 41st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron: 1 October 1957 – 8 March 1960
- 852d Aircraft Control and Warning: 1 July 1957 – 8 March 1960.
- Andersen AFB, Guam, 1 Jul 1957-8 Mar 1960
- Taipei AS, Taiwan, 8 Feb 1966-7 Jan 1976.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|