|33 Battalion/701 Battalion|
|Country||Namibia, South Africa|
|Branch||South Africa Army,|
|Part of||South West African Territorial Force|
|Garrison/HQ||Mpacha, Northern Namibia|
|Nickname(s)||Eastern Caprivi Battalion|
|Part of the South West African Territorial Force|
33 Battalion or the Eastern Caprivi Battalion, was a light infantry battalion that was part of the SWATF.
33 Battalion was established in 1977 before finally being renamed 701 Battalion. The main base was at Mpacha in Sector 70 or the Caprivi Strip. As part of Sector 70, 33 Battalion took part in operations into Zambia and from 1978 deployed companies into Kavango, Kaokaland and Owambo. From 1983, a company of marines was also attached. 33 Battalion had an attached SWATF armoured car squadron and an artillery battery.
List of casualtiesEdit
1985, Basson, J.L. Cav 1988, Thomas, J.A. Lt 
- ↑ "South African Unit Profiles". Warinangola.com. http://www.warinangola.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1239&Parameter=77. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- ↑ Kenneth W. Grundy (1 January 1983). Soldiers Without Politics: Blacks in the South African Armed Forces. University of California Press. pp. 259–. ISBN 978-0-520-04710-5. http://books.google.com/books?id=OCUYkeV1gtoC&pg=PA259.
- ↑ "South African Forces In The ‘Border War’ : (Angola & South West Africa) 1980 to 1989" (PDF). Fireandfury.com. http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/modsouthafrican.pdf. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- ↑ "SADF.info". SADF.info. http://sadf.info/UnitSWATF.html. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
- ↑ "SA Roll of Honour: List People". Justdone.co.za. http://www.justdone.co.za/ROH/main.php?page=List_People&UnitAbv=701BN. Retrieved 2015-07-09.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|