History[edit | edit source]
The 33rd Infantry Division continued until 1968, when it was inactivated as part of a National Guard force reduction. The 33rd Infantry Brigade was then created as a non-divisional organization.
The 66th Infantry Brigade, which had been part of the 44th Division and then the 33rd, continued in service as an Illinois organization assigned to the 47th Infantry Division. The 47th Division was inactivated in 1991, and the 66th Brigade was assigned to the 34th Infantry Division.
In 1997 the 66th Brigade was reassigned to the 35th Infantry Division.
As part of the Army’s conversion to modular divisions and brigades, in 2005 the separate 33rd Infantry Brigade was inactivated. The 66th Brigade was re-flagged as the 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, which continued to be aligned with the 35th Division.
Recent deployments[edit | edit source]
Task organization[edit | edit source]
As of 2013, the 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team is composed of: 33rd Brigade Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Urbana; 2nd Battalion, 130th Infantry Regiment, Marion; 1st Battalion, 178th Infantry Regiment, Chicago; 2nd Squadron, 106th Cavalry Regiment, Kewanee; 2nd Battalion, 122nd Field Artillery Regiment, Chicago; 33rd Brigade Special Troops Battalion, Machesney Park; and 634th Brigade Support Battalion, Sullivan.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Guard Educational Foundation, 33rd Infantry Division, 2011
- National Guard Educational Foundation, 44th Infantry Division, 2011
- New York Times, Proposal to Drop 15 Divisions Gains, May 11, 1967
- Associated Press, Schenectady Gazette, General Who Bucked Demoting Negro Guard Officers is Fired, March 4, 1968
- Chicago Tribune, Guard Could Fight After 90 Days: Kane, February 24, 1968
- Basil Talbott, Chicago Tribune, Great Lakes Boon: Base expands under Cheney plan to close 43 others, April 13, 1991
- Harry Levins, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Plan to use National Guard in Battle Could be Felt in Missouri and Illinois, August 5, 2000
- Charles Stanley, My Web Times, Guardsman ready for deployment, March 18, 2008
- Associated Press, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1,700 GUARDSMEN FROM ILLINOIS WILL BE ACTIVATED, December 2, 2001
- WIFR, Dixon's 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team Returns Home, August 14, 2009
- 33rd Infantry Division Association, Units of the 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 2008
External resources[edit | edit source]
- 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat team at Illinois National Guard
- 33rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team at Facebook
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|