|34th Guards Rifle Division|
|Active||29 August 1942-1946|
|Engagements||Operation Spring Awakening|
YenakiyevoOrder of the Red Banner
Order of Kutuzov
The 34th Guards Rifle Division was originally formed on 29 August 1942 from the 7th Airborne Corps in the Moscow Military District. It was assigned to the 28th Army, part of the Southern Front. In April 1943, it was transferred to the 5th Shock Army, which later became part of the 4th Ukrainian Front. After participation in retaking Yenkiyevo, it was awarded the battle honour. In January 1944, it became part of the 31st Guards Rifle Corps of the 46th Army. In November 1944 it was finally transferred to the 4th Guards Army, which it was part of for the rest of the war. During Operation Konrad I, the 34th Guards were pushed back by battlegroups from the 6th Panzer Division and 8th Panzer Division.
On 6 August 1942:
- 103rd Guards Rifle Regiment
- 105th Guards Rifle Regiment
- 107th Guards Rifle Regiment
- 84th Guards Artillery Regiment
- Major General Iosif Ivanovich Gubarevich - died of wounds 1943
- Major General Grigori Filippovich Panchenko
- Major General Kuzma Dmitrievich Parfenov
- Major General Iosif Antonovich Maksimovich
- Major General Filipp Vasilevich Brailian
- Tarrant, V. E. (1992-11-01). Stalingrad. Pen and Sword. pp. 235. ISBN 9780850523423. https://books.google.com/books?id=evuRAwAAQBAJ.
- "Russian Forces, Stalingrad Area". http://carl.army.mil/nafziger/942RLAC.pdf.
- "Сталин И.В. Приказ Верховного Главнокомандующего 8 сентября 1943 года [№ 9"]. http://grachev62.narod.ru/stalin/orders/chapt009.htm. Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- Pettibone, Charles D. (2009). The Organization and Order of Battle of Militaries in World War II: Volume V - Book B Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. Bloomington: Trafford Publishing. pp. 567. ISBN 9781426978159. https://books.google.com/books?id=Vr4Xr1EeezQC&pg=PA679&lpg=PA679&dq=34TH+GUARDS+RIFLE+DIVISION&source=bl&ots=HTPXJDtixN&sig=q4mN89ir2RSvmT9aii-EWGd7tQQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwATgKahUKEwiZpLWYjeLHAhUTf5IKHfhbAKM#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Magazine, Command (2003-01-01). Hitler's Army: The Evolution and Structure of German Forces. Da Capo Press. pp. 355. ISBN 0306812606. https://books.google.com/books?id=K5ptwGy4i2sC.
- "Russian Guard Rifle Divisions 1941-1945". http://www.cgsc.edu/CARL/nafziger/939RXAC.PDF.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|