|34th Strategic Squadron|
Emblem of the 34th Air Strategic Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The squadron was initially activated at Offutt AFB, Nebraska, as the 34th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, a Geographically Separated Unit assigned to the 340th Bombardment Wing (Medium) at Whiteman AFB, Missouri. It provided air refueling to Strategic Air Command and other tactical aircraft using KC-97 (1958–1959; 1964), and operated the Strategic Air Command Airborne Command Post "LOOKING GLASS" from 1961 to 1966.
It was moved to Pease, AFB, New Hampshire on 25 Jun 1966 and flew KC-135 Straotankers on a worldwide scale and was assigned to the 509th Bombardment Wing until inactivated on 31 March 1976.
On 1 Aug 1978, it was redesignated as the 34th Strategic Squadron and activated at Zaragoza AB, Spain supporting European Tanker Task Force under the directions of the 7th Air Division located at Ramstein AB, Germany.
On 19 Sep 1985 the 34th Strategic Squadron was consolidated with the 34th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy, a unit that was last active 01 Jul 1955. This action was directed by Department of the Air Force Letter DAF/MPM 662q Attachment 1 (Active Units), 19 Sep 1985. The Consolidated Unit will retain the Designation of 34th Strategic Squadron".
It was assigned to the following units:
- 340th Bombardment Wing, Whiteman AFB, Missouri, 1 Oct 1958-1 Oct 1959
- 4321st Strategic Wing, Offut AFB, Nebraska, 1 Oct 59 – 1 Jan 1964
- 385th Strategic Aerospace Wing, Offut AFB, Nebraska, 1 Jan – 15 Dec 1964
- 818th Strategic Aerospace Division, Lincoln AFB, Nebraska, 15 Dec 1964-25 Jun 1966
- 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease AFB, New Hampshire, 25 Jun 1966-31 Mar 1976
- 7th Air Division, Ramstein AB, Germany, 1 Aug 1978-1 Oct 1986
- 11th Strategic Group, RAF Fairford, United Kingdom, 1 Oct 1986-7 Aug 1990
- Maurer, Maurer, ed (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556. http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/fulltext/combat_sq_of_the_af_wwii.pdf.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|