|35th Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)|
Arkansas state flag
|Active||1862 to 1865|
|Country||Confederate States of America|
|Arkansas Confederate Infantry Regiments|
|34th Arkansas Infantry Regiment||36th Arkansas Infantry Regiment|
The 35th Arkansas Infantry (1862–1865) was a Confederate Army infantry regiment during the American Civil War. The unit was originally organized as 17th (Griffiths) Arkansas Infantry Regiment and later reorganized as the 35th Arkansas. The unit was finally reorganized as the 22nd Arkansas Infantry Regiment.
Organization[edit | edit source]
35th Arkansas Infantry Regiment was organized during the summer of 1862 and later redesignated as the 22nd Arkansas Infantry Regiment. It was organized from remnants of the 17th (Griffiths) Arkansas Infantry Regiment and former Militia members who enlisted in the summer of 1862. It was also known as the 1st (Rector's War Regiment) Arkansas Infantry. The unit was placed in Fagan's and A. T. Hawthorne's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department. Its commanding officers were Colonels Frank Rector, James P. King and Henry J. McCord, Lieutenant Colonel John W. Wallace, and Majors John J. Dillard and Mark T. Tatum.
Battles[edit | edit source]
Under the command of Colonel James P. King, the 35th Arkansas fought at the Battle of Bayou Fourche and the Battle of Helena where it reported 75 casualties. Later, under the command of Colonel Henry J. McCord, the unit saw action at the Battle of Jenkins' Ferry.
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of Arkansas Civil War Confederate units
- Lists of American Civil War Regiments by State
- Confederate Units by State
- Arkansas in the American Civil War
- Arkansas Militia in the Civil War
References[edit | edit source]
- Sikakis, Stewart, Compendium of the Confederate Armies, Florida and Arkansas Facts on File, 1992, ISBN 978-0-8160-2288-5, page 69 and 101
- National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, Confederate Arkansas Troops, 35th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/regiments.cfm
- United States. War Dept. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union And Confederate Armies. Series 1, Volume 41, In Four Parts. Part 4, Correspondence, Etc., Book, 1893; digital images, (http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth145061 : accessed February 14, 2012), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Libraries, Denton, Texas.
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Home Page
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
- The Arkansas History Commission, State Archives, Civil War in Arkansas
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|