|36th Rifle Division (I) (1918-1934)|
36th Motor Rifle Division
History[edit | edit source]
The division was first formed as the 36th Rifle Division (ru: 36-я стрелковая дивизия) based on the 9th Army's expeditionary division in 1918. It fought in the Russian Civil War and was part of the 9th Army between 1919 and 1920. In summer 1921, the division participated in the campaign against Roman von Ungern-Sternberg's forces in Mongolia. On 4 June 1923, the division was given the honorary designation "Transbaikal".
The Special Far Eastern Army was formed on 6 August 1929, and the 36th RD became part of then newly formed army.
At some point in the 1930s, it became the 36th Motor Rifle Division. (ru: 36-я мотострелковая дивизия)
On 22 June 1941, the division, along with the 57th Motor Rifle Division, was with the 17th Army, part of the Transbaikal Front. In the last year of World War II, it fought in the Soviet invasion of Manchuria.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
- Colonel I.F. Dudarev (1941)
Composition[edit | edit source]
The division was composed of the following units on 22 June 1941.
- 24th Motorized Rifle Regiment
- 76th Motorized Rifle Regiment
- 149th Motorized Rifle Regiment
- 36th Motorized Artillery Regiment
- 133rd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion
- 37th Motorized Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
- 67th Motorized Antitank Battalion
- 252nd Motorized Engineer Battalion
- 1st Motorized Signal Battalion
- 61st Motorized Chemical Company
- 14th Truck Battalion
- 61st Motorized Maintenance Battalion
- 161st Motorized Medical Battalion
References[edit | edit source]
- Website Mechanized Corps of the Red Army 36th Motor Rifle Division Transbaikal Order of Lenin
- Erickson, John (2013-07-04). The Soviet High Command: a Military-political History, 1918-1941: A Military Political History, 1918-1941. Routledge. p. 242. ISBN 9781136339523. https://books.google.com/books?id=dvXdi7jZy5YC.
- "17th Army, Transbaikal Military District, Red Army, 22.06.41". http://niehorster.org/012_ussr/41_oob/interior/_transbaikal_17.html. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Glantz, David (2004-08-02). The Soviet Strategic Offensive in Manchuria, 1945: 'August Storm'. Routledge. p. 390. ISBN 9781135774998. https://books.google.com/books?id=epWRAgAAQBAJ.
- "Motorized Rifle Division, Soviet Army, 22 June 1941". http://niehorster.org/012_ussr/41_organ/div_mot/mot-div.html. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|