|444th Security Division|
|Engagements||World War II|
The 444th Security Division (444. Sicherungs-Division) was a rear-security division in the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany. The unit was deployed in German-occupied areas of the Soviet Union, in the Army Group South Rear Area.
The division was formed in 1941, prior the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa. It operated in the occupied Ukraine and Southern Russia regions behind Army Group South's front lines. Its duties included security of communications and supply lines, economic exploitation and combatting irregular fighters (partisans) in Werhmacht's rear areas.
Along with other security and police forces in the occupied territories, the division participated in war crimes against prisoners of war and civilian population. The division was subordinated to Karl von Roques, commander of Army Group South Rear Area. Similar to 454th Security Division, it undertook "cleansing actions" in the areas that the locals claimed harboured "partisans" (the term "partisan" was used interchangeably with "commissar", "Bolshevik", "Jew" and "guerrilla"). 
- Keller, Bastian (2012). Der Ostfeldzug: Die Wehrmacht im Vernichtungskrieg: Planung, Kooperation, Verantwortung. Hamburg: Diplomica-Verlag. ISBN 978-3842882676. https://books.google.com/books?id=4gNgun9ovQIC&pg=PA53&dq=%22R%C3%BCckw%C3%A4rtigen+Heeresgebiet+Mitte%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGwYf90urSAhXLy1QKHeVTADoQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=%22R%C3%BCckw%C3%A4rtigen%20Heeresgebiet%20Mitte%22&f=false.
- Lower, Wendy (2005). Nazi Empire-Building and the Holocaust in Ukraine. London and Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press. ISBN 978-0-80782-960-8.
- Shepherd, Ben H. (2003). "The Continuum of Brutality: Wehrmacht Security Divisions in Central Russia, 1942". pp. 49–81. Digital object identifier:10.1191/0266355403gh274oa.
- Blood, Phillip W. (2006). Hitler's Bandit Hunters: The SS and the Nazi Occupation of Europe. Potomac Books. ISBN 978-1-59797-021-1. https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Hitlers-Bandit-Hunters,677031.aspx.
- Wette, Wolfram (2007). The Wehrmacht: History, Myth, Reality. Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0674025776.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|