|48th Infantry Brigade|
|Country||British India, India|
|Part of||7th Infantry Division|
|Engagements||Burma Campaign, Occupation of Goa, 1962 Sino-Indian War|
Brigadier T R Henry|
Colonel G L Blight
The 48th Indian Infantry Brigade was an infantry formation of the British Indian Army and then of the Indian Army.
It was formed in October 1941, at Secunderabad in India and assigned to the 19th Indian Infantry Division. It was then transferred to the 17th Indian Infantry Division and fought in the Burma Campaign. It was attached to the 1st Burma Division in April 1942.
It was serving with 17th Indian Division when it was disbanded January 1947 in Burma. The brigade then returned to India as an independent brigade; it was located at Dhond in August 1947. (Renaldi and Rikhye 2011, 168)
On 15 Nov 1960 it was assigned to the new 17th Inf Division at Ambala. Took part in the 1961 Indian annexation of Goa that December. Oct 1962: 17th Infantry Division. It came under command 4th Inf Div during 1962 war with China. 1965: 7th Inf Div. Dec 1971: 7th Inf Div. (Renaldi & Rikhye 2011, 161)
Units during World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1/3rd Gurkha Rifles October 1941 to June 1942
- 1/4th Gurkha Rifles October 1941 to March 1943
- 8th Burma Rifles February 1942
- 3rd Burma Rifles February 1942
- 1/7th Gurkha Rifles February to August 1945
- 5/17th Dogra Regiment February to March 1942
- 1st The Cameronians March to April 1942
- 1/10th Gurkha Rifles April 1942
- 4/12th Frontier Force Regiment January to October 1943 and March 1944 and January to August 1945
- 2/5th Gurkha Rifles May 1943 to September 1944
- 9th Border Regiment July 1943 to August 1944
- 1st West Yorkshire Regiment August 19444 to August 1945 
References[edit | edit source]
- "48 Indian Brigade". Order of Battle. http://www.ordersofbattle.com/UnitData.aspx?UniX=172087&Tab=Uhi. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- "48 Indian Brigade Units". Order of Battle. http://www.ordersofbattle.com/UnitData.aspx?UniX=6165&Tab=Sub. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- Richard A. Renaldi and Ravi Rikhe, 'Indian Army Order of Battle,' Orbat.com for Tiger Lily Books: A division of General Data LLC, ISBN 978-0-9820541-7-8, 2011
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|