|49th Troop Carrier Squadron|
|Branch||United States Army Air Forces|
|Battles||World War II|
The 49th Troop Carrier Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 313th Troop Carrier Group stationed at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts. It was inactivated on 22 September 1945.
Activated in early 1942 under Air Transport (Later I Troop Carrier) Command as a C-47 transport squadron; trained in the southeastern United States. Deployed to North Africa as part of the Operation Torch landings; being assigned to Oujda Airfield; French Morocco. Performed troop carrier and transport airlift of supplies to ground forces advancing though Algeria into Tunisia under Twelfth Air Force. Also evacuated wounded personnel to rear areas. Carried airborne paratroopers and performed airborne assault missions over Sicily and Italy as part of the invasion forces.
Reassigned to IX Troop Carrier Command in the European Theater of Operations (ETO) in February 1944 as part of the pre-invasion buildup of forces in England. Performed combat airborne assault missions as part of D-Day; Operation Market-Garden and Operation Varsity 1944-1945. Also performed supply and evacuation missions in France and the Low Countries; participated in the Western Allied invasion of Germany; 1945. Continued combat airlift and supply missions until the German capitulation in May 1945.
Squadron continued to operate from Achiet, France during 1945, performing transportation of personnel and supplies within Europe; demobilized in place during August, and inactivated as a paper unit in September 1945.
Operations and DecorationsEdit
- Combat Operations. World War II: Included airborne assaults on Sicily, Italy, Normandy, Holland, and Germany, and aerial transportation in MTO and ETO, during World War II. Berlin Airlift, 1948-1949.
- Campaigns. World War II: Sicily; Naples-Foggia; Rome-Arno; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Central Europe.
- Decorations. Distinguished Unit Citations: Sicily, 11 Jul 1943; France [6-7] Jun 1944.
- Constituted as 49th Transport Squadron on 15 June 1942
- Activated on 2 March 1942
- Redesignated as 49th Troop Carrier Squadron on 4 July 1942
- Inactivated on 22 September 1945
- 313th Transport (later Troop Carrier) Group, 2 March 1942 – 22 September 1945
- Mauer, Mauer (1969), Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II, Air Force Historical Studies Office, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. ISBN 0-89201-097-5
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|