|4 Reconnaissance Commando|
|Active||17 July 1978|
|Disbanded||31 July 1993|
|Allegiance||Republic of South Africa|
|Branch||South Africa Army|
|Part of||South African Defence Force|
|Garrison/HQ||Langebaan, Western Cape|
|Motto(s)||Iron Fist From The Sea|
History[edit | edit source]
The unit was formed on the 17 July 1978 as 4 Reconnaissance Commando at Langebaan. It was initially made up of members of 1 Reconnaissance Commando. During the 1981 reorganisation, 4 Reconnaissance Commando was renamed 4 Reconnaissance Regiment (4RR). The unit was said to be small with mainly white soldiers who operated in Angola and Mozambique:Chp3
Re-organisation after 1992[edit | edit source]
The next reorganisation occurred in 1992 when the Special Forces HQ was disbanded and renamed the Directorate Reconnaissance Forces and 4 RR remained but 2RR, the citizen force unit, was disbanded. In 1993, a further reorganisation occurred when the Directorate Reconnaissance Forces was renamed as the 45 Para Brigade and 4 Reconnaissance Commando was renamed the 453 Para Battalion. The last change occurred in 1995, 45 Para Brigade became the Special Forces Brigade and subsequently 453 Para Battalion is now called 4 Special Forces Regiment.
Commanding Officers[edit | edit source]
Officers commanding were:
- 1978–1982 – Cmdt. M. Kinghorn
- 1982–1994 – Col. J. Venter
- 1994–n.d. – Col. K. Nel
References[edit | edit source]
- "4 Reconnaissance Regiment / 4 Special Forces Regiment". South African Special Forces Association. http://www.recce.co.za/special-forces-history/4rr-4sfr-history. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- O'Brien, Kevin A. (2011). The South African Intelligence Services: From Apartheid to Democracy, 1948-2005 (eBook). Studies in Intelligence Series. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-203-84061-0.
- "TRC Final Report". SABC. http://www.sabctrc.saha.org.za/reports/volume2/chapter3/subsection69.htm. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|