|4th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Confederate)|
Arkansas state flag
|Active||1861 to 1865|
|Country||Confederate States of America|
The 4th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (1862–1865) was a Confederate Army Cavalry regiment from the state of Arkansas during the American Civil War. The regiment was designated at various times as Carroll's Regiment Arkansas Cavalry, Thompson's Regiment Arkansas Cavalry, and Gordon's Regiment Arkansas Cavalry. During the same time it was also known as 1st Regiment Arkansas Cavalry, 2nd Regiment Arkansas Cavalry, 9th Regiment Arkansas Cavalry and the 11th Regiment Arkansas Cavalry.
Organization[edit | edit source]
The 4th Arkansas Cavalry was mustered into Confederate service at Camp Massard, Arkansas, on July 11, 1862, for three years or the war. The unit was composed of volunteer companies from the following counties:
- Company A, of Madison County
- Company B, Originally commanded by Captain (later Colonel) Anderson Gordong, from Conway County, enlisted at at Lewisburg, Arkansas, on June 14, 1862.
- Company C, of Yell County
- Company D, of Johnson County
- Company E, of Pope County
- Company F, of Washington County
- Company G, of Benton County
- Company H, of Benton County (Contains many former members of the 10th Regiment Arkansas Militia)
- Company I, of Sebastian County
- Company K, of Franklin County
Battles[edit | edit source]
4th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment served in General Cabell's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department, and took an active part in the Battle of Poison Spring and the Battle of Marks' Mills where twenty-one percent of the 117 engaged were disabled. Later it participated in Price's Missouri Expedition and reported 106 casualties.
Surrender[edit | edit source]
During the spring of 1865 the 4th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment disbanded.
See also[edit | edit source]
- List of Arkansas Civil War Confederate units
- Lists of American Civil War Regiments by State
- Confederate Units by State
- Arkansas in the American Civil War
- Arkansas Militia in the Civil War
References[edit | edit source]
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
- National Park Service, Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, Confederate Arkansas Troops, 25th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, Accessed 27 January 2011, http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/regiments.cfm
- Howerton, Bryan R., "Re: 4th Regiment AR Cavalry", Arkansas in the Civil War Message Board, Posted 23 July 2005, Accessed 8 February 2011, http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs53x/arcwmb/arch_config.pl?read=10575
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page, 4TH (GORDON'S) ARKANSAS CAVALRY REGIMENT, Accessed 28 January 2011, http://www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/4thindx.html
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Page, 10th Regiment Arkansas Militia (Johnson County). Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- Kraus-Everette Genealogy, 4th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Gordon's), CSA, Accessed 2 February 2010, http://www.larkcom.us/ancestry/civilwar/cw_cs_4th_arkansas_calvary_regiment_(gordons).cfm
[edit | edit source]
- Edward G. Gerdes Civil War Home Page
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
- The Arkansas History Commission, State Archives, Civil War in Arkansas
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|