|53rd Infantry Division Arezzo|
|Engagements||World War II|
|General Michele Molinari|
World War II[edit | edit source]
The Arezzo Division took part in the Italian invasion of Albania in 1939. It was next involved in the Greco-Italian War in November 1940, as part of the Italian III Corps, suffering heavy losses. It was reformed and sent back to Albania as part of the occupation force. In April 1941 it took part in the Invasion of Yugoslavia and captured Montenegro. It remained in the area for the rest of the war and, following the Italian surrender to the Allies in September 1943, the division was disarmed by the Germans. A large number of the men escaped to join the partisans.
Commander[edit | edit source]
Order of battle[edit | edit source]
- 225. Arezzo Infantry Regiment
- 226. Arezzo Infantry Regiment
- 343. Infantry Regiment
- 53. Artillery Regiment
- 80. CCNN Legion
- 53. Mortar Battalion
- 53. Anti-Tank Company
- 53. Engineer Battalion
- 60. Supply Section [nb 1]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- An Italian Infantry Division normally consisted of two Infantry Regiments (three Battalions each), an Artillery Regiment, a Mortar Battalion (two companies), an Anti Tank Company, a Blackshirt Legion of two Battalions was sometimes attached. Each Division had only about 7,000 men, The Infantry and Artillery Regiments contained 1,650 men, the Blackshirt Legion 1,200, each company 150 men.
- Marcus Wendal. "Italian Army". Axis History. http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=9821. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Enrico Tagliazucchi and Franco Agostini. "Royal Italian Army". World War II Armed Forces – Orders of Battle and Organizations. Archived from the original on 4 April 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090404113008/http://niehorster.orbat.com/019_italy/40_organ/div_inf_40.html. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Paoletti, p 170
- Paoletti, Ciro (2008). A Military History of Italy. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 0-275-98505-9.
- Jowett, Phillip. The Italian Army 1040-45 (3): Italy 1943-45. Osprey Publishing, Westminster. ISBN 978-1-85532-866-2.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|