|61st Infantry Division|
|Active||1939 - 1945|
|Officer Commanding||Major-General C. B. Wainwright|
History[edit | edit source]
The 61st Infantry Division was formed as a 2nd Line duplicate division of the 48th (South Midland) Infantry Division. On 15 April 1940 part of the division (the British 146th Infantry Brigade and 61st Division HQ) was converted into Maurice Force, a formation created for operations in Norway. Although the division was reformed it did not see active service outside the United Kingdom.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
- Maj.Gen. Robert Collins; 1939
- Maj.Gen. Adrian Carton De Wiart; 1939 - 1940
- Maj.Gen. Sir Edmond Schreiber; 1940
- Maj.Gen. Adrian Carton De Wiart; 1940 - 1941
- Maj.Gen. Charles Fullbrook-Leggatt; 1941 - 1942
- Maj.Gen. John Owen Carpenter; 1942 - 1943
- Maj.Gen. Charles Brian Wainwright; 1943 - 1945
Component Units[edit | edit source]
(as of 3 September 1939)
- 2/7th Bn. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- 9th Bn. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- 9th Bn. The Worcestershire Regiment
- 4th Bn. The Northamptonshire Regiment
- 7th Bn. The Gloucestershire Regiment
- 10th Bn. The Worcestershire Regiment
- 2/4th Bn. The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
- 2/4th Bn. The Royal Berkshire Regiment
- 2/1st Buckinghamshire Bn, The Oxford and Buckinghamshire Regiment
- 2/5th Bn. The Gloucestershire Regiment
Support Units[edit | edit source]
- 119th Field Regt.
- 120th Field Regt.
- 145th (Buckingham and Berkshire Yeomanry) Field Regt.
- 63rd (Worcestershire and Oxfordshire Yeomanry)Anti-Tank Regt.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Joslen, p. 95
- Chappell, p. 37
References[edit | edit source]
- Chappell, Mike (1987). British battle insignia (2): 1939-1940. Men-At-Arms. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 0-85045-739-4.
- Joslen, Lieutenant-Colonel H.F (1960) . Orders Of Battle Second World War 1939-1945. Naval & Military Press Ltd. ISBN 978-1-84342-474-1.
[edit | edit source]
- 61 (South Midland) Infantry Division at Orders of Battle.com
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|