|71 (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment|
|Active||1969 - current|
|Part of||11 Signal Brigade|
|Regimental HQ||Bexleyheath, Kent|
|Royal Signals Colonel in Chief||The Princess Royal|
|Tactical Recognition Flash|
71 (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment is an Army Reserve regiment in the Royal Corps of Signals in the British Army. The regiment forms part of 11th Signal Brigade, providing military communications for national operations.
History[edit | edit source]
The regiment was formed as 71 (Yeomanry) Signal Regiment, Royal Signals in 1969. The squadrons at that time included 68 (Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) Signal Squadron. HQ Squadron converted to a communications role and was re-designated 265 (Kent and County of London Yeomanry) Squadron in 1970.
In 2014, under Army 2020, 36 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron transferred from 37 Signal Regiment. Also in 2014, under Army 2020, 47 (Middlesex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (already part of the regiment) amalgamated with 41 (Princess Louise's Kensington) Signal Squadron (previously part of 38 (City of Sheffield) Signal Regiment) to form a new entity, 31 (Middlesex Yeomanry and Princess Louise's Kensington) Signal Squadron.
Structure[edit | edit source]
The regiment comprises the following sub units:
- 71st (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals (Paired with 3 Signal Regiment)
- Regimental Headquarters, in Bexleyheath
- 31 (Middlesex Yeomanry and Princess Louise's Kensington) Signal Squadron, in Uxbridge
- 841 (Princess Louise's Kensington) Signal Troop, in Coulsdon
- 36 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron, in Colchester
- 845 (Essex) Signal Troop, in Chelmsford
- 68 (Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) Signal Squadron, Whipps Cross
- 883 (London) Signal Troop, in Lincoln's Inn
- 254 (Specialist Group Information Services) Signal Squadron, in Corsham – nationally recruited army reserve unit
- 265 (Kent and County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters)) Support Squadron, in Bexleyheath
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "71st Signal Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals". Regiments.org. https://web.archive.org/web/20070224084245/http://www.regiments.org:80/regiments/uk/vols-tavr/art-eng-sig/sig71.htm. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "An introduction to the Middlesex Yeomanry". Royal Signals. https://royalsignals.org/rsa/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/11/AN_INTRODUCTION_TO_THE_MIDDLESEX_YEOMANRY.pdf. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Summary of Army 2020 Reserves structure and basing changes". Ministry of Defence. https://www.rfca-yorkshire.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1372848176SUMMARYOFA2020RESERVESTRUCTUREANDBASINGCHANGES.pdf. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "71 (Yeomanry) Signal Regiment". Ministry of Defence. http://www.army.mod.uk/signals/25283.aspx. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
[edit | edit source]
- 71 Y Sig Regt (V) - on British Army official website