|A. G. Forman|
|Commands held||Chief of Naval Staff|
Forman was born in Brentford on 20 June 1910. An acting sub-lieutenant in the Royal Navy aged 17, he became a sub-lieutenant in 1931, and lieutenant in 1933. He became Lieutenant Commander at the start of 1941, was mentioned in dispatches in 1942, and became a Commander at the close of 1943. In 1950 he was made Commodore. Retiring from active Navy service in July 1959, he was seconded to the newly created Ghana Navy. Kwame Nkrumah, then the Ghana president, granted him a presidential commission as a Ghana naval officer with the rank of Commodore and appointed him Chief of Naval Staff. This was after the navy had been established in 1959.
- Jack Woddis (1961). Africa, the lion awakes. Lawrence & Wishart. p. 207. http://books.google.com/books?id=geYbAAAAMAAJ. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- His name is given as D. A. Foreman in Festus Boahen Aboagye (1999). The Ghana Army: A Concise Contemporary Guide to Its Centennial Regimental History, 1897-1999. Sedco. p. 345. ISBN 978-9964-72-075-9. http://books.google.com/books?id=BPfeAAAAMAAJ. Retrieved 11 March 2013. This is also the name given on the website of the Ghana Armed Forces website. "Past Chiefs of Naval Staff". Official website. Ghana Armed Forces. 2009-04-25. http://www.gaf.mil.gh/index.php?CatId=118. Retrieved 2010-03-17. Another book gives his surname as Forman, but only ascribes him initials in a list in which 'D. A. Forman' precedes 'D. A. Hansen': S. Kojo Addae (2005). A Short History of Ghana Armed Forces. Ministry of Defence of Ghana Armed Forces. ISBN 978-9988-8335-1-0. http://books.google.com/books?id=btghAQAAIAAJ. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- ADM 196/151/51, The National Archives
- Cdr. Archibald George Forman of the Royal Navy
- "The Security Services" (pdf). National Reconciliation Commission Report Volume 4 Chapter 1. Ghana government. October 2004. pp. pages 3 & 4. http://www.ghana.gov.gh/NRC/Vol%204%20Chpt%201%20com.sec.rep.pdf. Retrieved 2007-06-12. [dead link]
- "Historical Background of The Ghana Navy". Official website. Ghana Armed Forces. http://www.gaf.mil.gh/index.php?CatId=80. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- 'Gen. Alexander leaves Ghana: changes in high command', The Times, 26 September 1961.
- 'The Birthday Honours', The Times, 2 June 1962.
- Supplement to the London Gazette, 2 June 1962, p.4311
Ghana Navy established 1959
|Chief of Naval Staff
1959 – 1961
David Animle Hansen
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|