|Type||Armoured personnel carrier (APC)|
|Place of origin||Pakistan|
|Used by||Pakistan Army|
|Designer||Heavy Industries Taxila|
|Manufacturer||Heavy Industries Taxila|
|Weight||12.5 ton (combat weight)|
10.6 ton (curb weight)
|Armour||Aluminium (5083 series)|
|12.7 mm machine gun|
|Suspension||Torsion bars, hydraulic dampers|
Talha is an armoured personnel carrier (APC) designed and manufactured in Pakistan by APC Factory of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT). The vehicle is based on the M113-A2-Mk.1 APC. The Pakistan Army plans to deploy 2,000 Talha APCs by year 2010. TALHA is an all terrain, amphibious infantry support vehicle with 12.7 mm machine gun as its main armament. Adequate crew compartment space provides excellent crew comfort. Survivability is enhanced through use of external fuel tanks. Various forms of bolt-on armour can be added to increase armour protection of the vehicle.
History[edit | edit source]
The decision to develop the Talha made after U.S. sanctions imposed on Pakistan made it impossible for HIT to continue manufacturing the M113. The Talha's design is based on the M113, one notable difference being the positions of the engine and driver station.
The Al-Talha is being marketed for export and was displayed at the IDEAS 2002 defence exhibition, Karachi, in 2002. In November 2004 an Iraqi delegation ordered 44 Talha APCs.
Engine[edit | edit source]
There is a flexibility in the design that the Engine compartment can accommodate power pack with 275 HP Detroit Diesel 6V53T turbocharged engine or 330 HP UTD-20, a Ukrainian engine
Operators[edit | edit source]
- Pakistan Army: 400+ in Service; Total 2,000 planned to be deployed.
- Sindh Police: 40 delivered by Wah Ordnance Factory in 2012.
Variants[edit | edit source]
5 road wheel variants:
- Talha - APC
- Maaz - Fitted with Baktar-Shikan anti-tank missile firing unit
- Mouz - Fitted with RBS 70 surface-to-air missile firing unit
- Sakb - Command vehicle.
- Al-Hamza - Infantry fighting vehicle
Stretched 6 road wheel variants:
See also[edit | edit source]
- Related lists
References[edit | edit source]
- Al-Talha APC.
- TALHA SERIES OF TRACKED ARMOURED VEHICLES
- "PAKISTAN ARMY". http://www.asiapacificdefencereporter.com/order-of-battle/pakistan. Retrieved 07-03-2013.
- "Talha Armored personnel carrier". http://www.military-today.com/apc/talha.htm. Retrieved 07-03-2013.
- "Low quality equipment risk cops’ lives". http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/karachi/17-Jul-2012/low-quality-equipment-risk-cops-lives.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|