|Abid Hamid Mahmud|
|Personal Secretary to the President|
|Appointed by||Saddam Hussein|
|Died||7 June 2012 (aged 55)|
|Political party||Ba'ath Party|
Career[edit | edit source]
Mahmud began his military career as an non-commissioned officer and rose through the ranks, becoming part of Hussein's personal bodyguard, and finally, his personal secretary.
A distant cousin of Hussein, observers regarded Mahmud as being Hussein's right-hand man, in constant contact with him and acting as a gatekeeper to access to the leader: He was trusted. With Saddam's son Qusay Hussein, he headed the Iraqi Special Security Organization.
He was captured in a joint raid by special operations forces and the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment of 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, in June 2003. At the time it was recognized as the "greatest success" since the end of major hostilities, and a sign that Saddam Hussein might soon be found.
On April 29, 2008, he appeared before the Iraq Special Tribunal set up by the Iraq Interim Government and stood trial with six others including Tariq Aziz, Ali Hassan al-Majid, Watban Ibrahim al-Hassan and Sabbawi Ibrahim al-Hassan.
On October 26, 2010, he was sentenced to death by the Iraqi High Tribunal after being found guilty of organising a crackdown against banned political parties in Iraq in the 1980s and 1990s, including assassinations and unlawful detentions.
References[edit | edit source]
- Harnden, Toby (2003-06-18). "Net closing on Saddam as top aide is captured". The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/19/wirq19.xml. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Financial Times; Aziz on trial over Iraqi killings role; 30 Apr 2008 ; p6
- Senior Saddam aide executed in Iraq, Financial Times, 8 June 2012
- "Iraq executes Saddam Hussein's aide Abid Hamid Mahmud". BBC News. 2012-06-07. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18356722. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "Lieutenant General Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti" (Web page). World Military Guide :: Iraq :: Overview :: Leadership. GlobalSecurity.org. 2005-06-22. Archived from the original on 2 December 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20051202182623/http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/mahmud-tikriti.htm. Retrieved 2005-12-06.
- "Profile: Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti". BBC News. 2003-06-18. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3001730.stm.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|