Adelbert F. Waldron III
|Born||March 14, 1933|
|Died||October 18, 1995|
|Place of birth||Virginia|
|Place of death||California|
|Buried at||Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside, California|
|Service/branch||U.S. Navy; U.S. Army|
|Years of service||Navy, 1953 - 1965; Army 1968 - 1970.|
|Unit||9th Infantry Division, Army Marksmanship Unit|
|Awards||Distinguished Service Cross (2), Silver Star, Bronze Star (3), Presidential Unit Citation|
Staff Sergeant Adelbert F. Waldron, or Adelbert F. Waldron III, (March 14, 1933 – October 18, 1995) was a United States Army sniper serving during the Vietnam War (9th Infantry Div.). Although little known, until 2011 Waldron held the record for confirmed kills by any American sniper in history at 109. Replaced in 2011 by Navy SEAL Chris Kyle with 160, Carlos Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills, Eric R. England had 98 and Chuck Mawhinney had 103. Hathcock, Mawhinney and England were members of the US Marine Corps.
Waldron is buried in Riverside National Cemetery in Riverside, California, Columbarium A (shelter F), Court B, Row B, Site 37.
- ↑ Fredriksen 2010, p. 306
- ↑ snipercentral.com (2010). "The Sniper Log Book". snipercentral.com. Archived from the original on 2 May 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100502040822/http://www.snipercentral.com/snipers.htm. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- ↑ Buiso, Gray (January 1, 2012). "Meet the big shot - SEAL is America’s deadliest sniper". http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/meet_the_big_shot_BxlVpxzQijkC9mwZcmwkrN. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- ↑ Kirchner 2009, pp. Contains a long chapter revealing little known details of Waldron's life.
- Fredriksen, John C. (2010). The United States Army: A Chronology, 1775 to the Present (2010 ed.). ABC-CLIO. ISBN 978-1-59884-344-6. - Total pages: 327
- Kirchner, Paul (2009). More of the Deadliest Men Who Ever Lived (2009 ed.). Paladin Press. ISBN 978-1-58160-690-4. - Total pages: 466
- Photo purportedly of Waldron is at http://www.sparrowhawkm14.com/id16.html
- "Little Known Sniper" (website) accessed 18 August 2010 http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/archive/index.php/t-2178.html
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|