The Admiral of the Navy George Dewey Award is an annual award of the Naval Order of the United States to honor a U.S. citizen eligible for regular membership in the Naval Order, who, while acting in a civilian capacity in a senior Federal government position, has established a record of exemplary service that sets that individual apart from his or her peers.
History[edit | edit source]
In 2001, former Commander General of the Naval Order of the United States Rear Admiral William F. Merlin, USCG, (ret.) proposed the establishment of a new award for the Naval Order to honor a civilian Federal government official for "unique achievements by that individual based on exceptional insight, persistent effort and firm determination to continually advance the paramount interests of the United States and its Sea Services. The award is a 12-inch by 15-inch plaque bearing the Seal of the Naval Order in the center, flanked by the obverse and reverse of the large Naval Order Cross. The award is named in honor of Admiral of the Navy George Dewey, who served as Commander General of the Naval order from 1907 to 1917. Presentation is made at a formal ceremony, preferably the annual Naval Order annual congress. It was first awarded in 2002 to former President George H. W. Bush.
Recipients[edit | edit source]
- 2002 George H. W. Bush
- 2003 Dr. Robert Ballard
- 2005 Jeremiah Denton
- 2006 Gordon R. England
- 2007 George Shultz
- 2009 John W. Warner
- 2010 Thomas J. Cassidy, Jr.
- 2011 James L. Holloway III
- 2012 John B. Hattendorf
- 2013 J. Phillip "Jack" London
References[edit | edit source]
- John C. Rice, Jr., Naval Order of the United States: Past-Present-Future. (Paduchah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2003), p. 17.
- NOUS Newsletter, vol. XXIII, no. 1 (Winter 2005–2006), p. 1
- NOUS Newsletter, vol. XXIII, no. 3 (Summer 2006), p. 1
- NOUS Newsletter, vol. XXV, no. 1 (Winter 2006–2007), p. 1
- NOUS Newsletter
- NOUS Newsltter, vol. XXVII, No. 4 (Winter 2011), p. 2
- NOUS Newsletter, vol. XXVIII, no. 6 (Summer 2012), p. 1
- NOUS Newsletter, vol. XXVIII, no. 10 (Summer 2013), p. 1
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|