Ahmed Abdulkadir Warsame (born c. mid-1980s) is a Somali prisoner of the United States. He is said to have described himself as a coordinator between the Somali Al-Shabab and Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, and is under indictment in federal district court in New York City.
Warsame was captured April 19, 2011, aboard a fishing vessel transiting the Gulf of Aden in international waters between Yemen and Somalia by the USS Bulkeley (DDG-84). He was later transferred, held, and interrogated in military custody aboard the USS Boxer for two months. Several days later, he was given a Miranda warning by civilian officials, who proceeded to question him and then had him flown to New York, arriving July 5, where he was indicted by a grand jury and held for trial.
Several American political figures have objected to his appearing in Federal court instead of being sent to the Guantanamo Bay detention camp for a military tribunal. Representative Howard McKeon, Chairman of the United States House Committee on Armed Services, said transferring Warsame out of Guantanamo "directly contradicts Congressional intent and the will of the American people", and Senator Susan Collins stated that captured foreign nationals "should be tried in a military commission, not a federal civilian court in New York or anywhere else in our country".
References[edit | edit source]
- DeYoung, Karen; Greg Miller (5 July 2011). "U.S. indicts Somali on terrorism charges". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/national-security/us-indicts-somali-on-terrorism-charges/2011/07/05/gHQA8bbfzH_print.html. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
- Charlie Savage, "U.S. Tests New Approach to Terrorism Cases on Somali Suspect", New York Times, July 6, 2011
- "Somali terror suspect held offshore appears in US court". BBC. 6 July 2011. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14041734. Retrieved 15 May 2012.
[edit | edit source]
- Warsame's indictment by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York hosted by The New York Times
- Warsame's plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York
- "Guilty Plea Unsealed in New York Involving Ahmed Warsame, a Senior Terrorist Leader and Liaison Between al Shabaab and al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, for Providing Material Support to Both Terrorist Organizations" hosted by The Federal Bureau of Investigation
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|