|Al Ismailiyah Air Base|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Elevation AMSL||39 ft / 12 m|
Al Ismailiyah Air Base is an Egyptian Air Force (Arabic language:القوات الجوية المصرية, Al-Qūwāt al-Gawwīyä al-Miṣrīyä) base, located approximately 4 km west-northwest of Ismailia; (Al Isma`iliyah); 116 km northeast of Cairo.
World War IIEdit
Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Ismailia.
During World War II the airfield, then known as RAF Ismailia or Ismailia Airfield was used as a military airfield by the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force during the North African Campaign against Axis forces. Ismailia was a pre-World War II station, originally opened about 1916.
USAAF Ninth Air Force units which used the airfield were:
- 436th Troop Carrier Group, 13 August-18 October 1942. C-47 Skytrain
- 434th Bombardment Group, 14 August-29 September 1942, B-25 Mitchell
Today, the airfield is an active Egyptian Air Force Base. It's World War II configuration is still evident in aerial photography.
- ↑ This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556. http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/fulltext/combat_sq_of_the_af_wwii.pdf.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|