|Alexander V. Acebo|
|From the 1971–72 Vermont Legislative Directory and State Manual|
|Vermont Auditor of Accounts|
February 1970 – January 1993
|Governor||Deane C. Davis|
Thomas P. Salmon
Richard A. Snelling
Richard A. Snelling
|Preceded by||Robert T. King|
|Succeeded by||Edward S. Flanagan|
|Born||September 5, 1927|
Barre, Vermont, U.S.
|Died||April 11, 2019 (aged 91)|
Wells, Maine, U.S.
|Resting place||Hope Cemetery, Barre, Vermont|
|Spouse(s)||Lorraine Nancy Sauter (m. 1950, div. 1974)|
Helen (Morrie) Franco (m. 1974, div. 1982)
Donna K. Murray (m. 1987, div. 1997)
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1946-1949|
|Battles/wars||Occupation of Japan|
Alexander Valentino "Tino" Acebo (September 5, 1927 – April 11, 2019) was an American politician who served for over 20 years as Vermont State Auditor.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Alexander Valentino Acebo was born in Barre, Vermont on September 5, 1927. His parents, Fermin Acebo and Lorraine Elvira (Lastra) Acebo, were natives of Spain who immigrated to Vermont. He was educated in Barre and graduated from Spaulding High School in 1946, where he played baseball, basketball, and football.[lower-alpha 1]
Acebo served in the United States Army beginning in 1946, including a posting to Japan during the post-World War II occupation. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant in the Finance Corps, and was discharged in 1949.
In 1952 Acebo graduated from Bryant College in Providence, Rhode Island, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration. After graduating, Acebo was employed as an accountant at Modern Printing Company in Barre. Active in local civic affairs, Acebo served as a member of the Barre City School Board, including time as the board's chairman.
Acebo began work in the State Auditor's office in 1961. He was serving as chief staff auditor in 1970 when incumbent Robert T. King died in office. Maurice T. Keefe, the Deputy State Auditor, declined Governor Deane Davis's appointment to the State Auditor's position. Davis then offered it to Acebo, who accepted. (Keefe continued to serve as Acebo's Deputy.) Acebo was also selected by the Vermont Republican Party as its nominee for Auditor in the 1970 election.
Retirement and death[edit | edit source]
Family[edit | edit source]
In 1950, Acebo married Lorraine Nancy Sauter of Madison, Connecticut. They were the parents of three children, Wendy, Lynn Anne, and Mollie, and divorced in 1974. Later that month, Acebo married Helen (Morrie) Franco (1928-2003). They divorced in 1982, and in 1987, Acebo married Donna K. Murray. They divorced in 1997.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Some sources indicate Acebo graduated from high school in 1945. These are clearly incorrect, as contemporary newspaper accounts from early 1946 indicate he played on Spaulding High School's basketball team that year. These include "Spaulding at St. Albans in League Game" (Burlington Free Press, January 4, 1946) and "How the Teams Will Line Up for the Opening Games of the Northern Tournament at Barre" (Burlington Free Press, March 1, 1946).
References[edit | edit source]
- Vermont Legislative Directory. Montpelier, VT: Vermont Secretary of State. 1979. p. 197. https://books.google.com/books?id=UJpDAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22acebo%22+%22born%22+%22barre%22+%221927%22&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%22was+born+at+Barre%2C+Vermont+on+September+5%2C+1927.%22.
- Vermont Department of Health (January 19, 1974). "Vermont Marriage Records, 1909-2008, Entry for Alexander V. Acebo and Helen (Morrie) Franco". Lehi, UT: Ancestry.com LLC. https://ww.ancestry.com.
- "Obituary, Alexander V. Acebo". Portland Press Herald. Portland, ME. April 13, 2019. https://obituaries.pressherald.com/obituaries/mainetoday-pressherald/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=192291165.
- "Personals: Pvts. Edward Ford and Tino Acebo arrived in Barre Thursday from Ft. Lee, Va.". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. December 6, 1946. p. 24. https://www.newspapers.com/image/199276715/.
- "Barre Soldiers Meet Often In Yokohama". Barre Daily Times. Barre, VT. January 24, 1947. p. 3. https://www.newspapers.com/image/364024327/.
- Vermont Legislative Directory and State Manual, published by Vermont Secretary of State, 1992, page viii
- Commencement Program, Bryant College, published by the college, 1952, page 5
- Vermont Year Book, published by National Survey, 1969, page 127
- Newspaper article, Chief Auditor Named, by United Press International, published in Bennington Banner, February 7, 1969
- Newspaper article, Acebo Nominated As Auditor, by United Press International, published in Bennington Banner, September 22, 1970
- "Bulletin: Total Votes Cast". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. November 4, 1970. p. 13. https://www.newspapers.com/image/198793646.
- Sneyd, Ross (January 5, 1993). "Flanagan Takes Over As Auditor; Acebo Retires Early After Nearly 22 Years On The Job". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. p. 1B. https://www.newspapers.com/image/201896904.
- "Burlington Lawyer to Run for State Auditor". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. May 28, 1992. p. 5B. https://www.newspapers.com/image/202122349/.
- "Obituary, Jose Sabino Acebo". Times Argus. Barre, VT. November 18, 2003. https://www.timesargus.com/news/november/article_f6867743-1f03-5fd0-893a-3120cf8bffd5.html.
- "Alexander V. Acebo of Barre Marries Connecticut Girl". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. October 17, 1950. p. 10. https://www.newspapers.com/image/198104345/.
- Vermont Department of Health (January 9, 1974). "Vermont Divorce Index, 1925-2003, Entry for Alexander V. Acebo and Lorraine Sauter". Lehi, UT: Ancestry.com LLC. https://www.ancestry.com.
- MacKay, Scott (October 26, 1982). "Acebo's Ex-Wife Charges Forgery of '78 Tax Form". Burlington Free Press. Burlington, VT. p. 1B. https://www.newspapers.com/image/200575881.
- Vermont Department of Health (May 1, 1987). "Maine Marriage Index, 1892-1996, Entry for Alexander V. Acebo and Donna K. Murray". Lehi, UT: Ancestry.com LLC. https://www.ancestry.com.
- Vermont Department of Health (December 7, 1997). "Vermont Divorce Index, 1925-2003, Entry for Alexander V. Acebo and Donna M. Acebo". Lehi, UT: Ancestry.com LLC. https://www.ancestry.com.
Robert T. King
|Vermont Auditor of Accounts
1970 – 1993
Edward S. Flanagan
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|