|Years of service||1998-2008|
|Battles/wars||Operation Iraqi Freedom|
|Awards||Navy Achievement Medal|
|Website||Manor of Mixed Blessings|
Andrea Chandler is an American farmer, writer, and retired sailor. After enlisting in the United States Navy in 1998, Chandler worked as a guided missile specialist on various destroyers, serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, for which she was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal. Retiring in 2008, she worked on missile systems at a defense contractor before switching to small-scale agriculture, her interest spurred by 4 chickens she had been given as a wedding gift.
As a farmer and science communicator, Chandler has worked with The Livestock Conservancy and been covered in The Independent and The Piedmont Virginian. As a Navy veteran and commentator on veterans' issues, she has been published or quoted in AlterNet, Quartz, and XoJane.
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Campbell, Dan. "For Farm and Country". US FDA. https://www.rd.usda.gov/files/RD-RuralCoopMagJul-Aug2016.pdf. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Chandler, Andrea (January 28, 2013). "It Happened To Me: I Served In Combat, Despite The "Ban" On Women In Combat". http://www.xojane.com/issues/it-happened-to-me-i-served-in-combat-despite-the-ban-on-women-in-combat. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Gander, Kashmira (January 10, 2017). "Runaway piglets and goat psychology: A woman's adventures in farming". The Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/woman-farmer-us-navy-officer-andrea-chandler-adventure-tweets-twitter-virginia-life-change-piglets-a7517496.html. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "2016 Rabbit Workshop". The Livestock Conservancy. https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/what/internal/2016-rabbit-workshop. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Burros, Marian (February 25, 2016). "Turning Swords into Plowshares". The Piedmont Virginian. http://piedmontvirginian.com/2016/02/turning-swords-into-plowshares/. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Smith, S.E. (June 20, 2014). "Why Are Huge Numbers of Disabled Students Dropping Out of College?". AlterNet. http://www.alternet.org/education/why-are-huge-numbers-disabled-students-dropping-out-college. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Berlatsky, Noah (May 31, 2016). "Chronic pain patients are suffering because of the US government’s ongoing War on Drugs". https://qz.com/694616/opiate-restrictions-highlight-our-countrys-abandonment-of-those-with-chronic-pain/. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|