General Anton Tus in 2009
|Born||22 November 1931(age 90)|
|Place of birth||
Bribir, Kingdom of Yugoslavia|
Yugoslav Air Force|
Croatian Armed Forces
Colonel General (YPA)|
General of the Army (HV)
204th Fighter Regiment (1968–1969)|
5th Aviation Corps
Yugoslav Air Force (1985–1991)
Croatian Armed Forces General Staff
(Glavni stožer OSRH, 1991–1992)
|Battles/wars||Croatian War of Independence|
Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV|
Order of Duke Domagoj
Order of Nikola Šubić Zrinski
Order of the Croatian Trefoil
Anton Tus (born 22 November 1931) is a retired Croatian general who served as head of the Yugoslav Air Force between 1985 and 1991 and was the first Chief of Staff of the Croatian Armed Forces from 1991 to 1992 during the Croatian War of Independence.
Biography[edit | edit source]
A graduate of the Yugoslav Air Force Academy, Tus spent most of his career serving in the Yugoslav Air Force. From 1968 to 1969 he was commander of the 204th Fighter Aviation Regiment stationed at Batajnica Air Base. After that he was commander of the 5th Air Force and Air Defence Corps based in SR Croatia.
In 1985 he was promoted to the head of the Yugoslav Air Force and held that post until his resignation in May 1991 amid the breakup of Yugoslavia. Between September 1991 and November 1992 he was the first Chief of the General Staff of the Croatian Armed Forces, succeeded in that post by general Janko Bobetko.
Between 1992 and 1995 he was president Franjo Tuđman's chief military advisor, before becoming head of Defence Ministry's Office for International Cooperation between 1995 and 2001. In 2001 he was appointed to the post of the chief of the Croatian Mission to NATO until retirement in 2005.
Honors[edit | edit source]
- Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV
- Order of Duke Domagoj
- Order of Nikola Šubić Zrinski
- Order of the Croatian Trefoil
References[edit | edit source]
- "Anton Tus: an officer and a diplomat". NATO Review. Summer 2002. Archived from the original on 10 November 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20101110121204/http://www.nato.int/docu/review/2002/issue2/english/interview.html. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Anton Tus (1931 - )" (in Croatian). Vojska.net. http://www.vojska.net/hrv/zivotopis/t/tus/anton/. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Odluka o odlikovanju Veleredom Kralja Petra Krešimira IV. s lentom i Danicom" (in Croatian). Narodne novine. 24 May 2000. http://narodne-novine.nn.hr/clanci/sluzbeni/273214.html. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
[edit | edit source]
- Anton Tus biography at Vojska.net (Croatian)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|