Detail of the grant of arms to Archibald Cullen
|Born||24 September 1887|
|Died||16 June 1968|
|Title||Bishop of Grahamstown|
|Successor||Robert Selby Taylor|
Archibald Howard Cullen (24 September 1887 – 16 June 1968) was the sixth Bishop of Grahamstown.
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
He was born on 24 September 1887 to William and Louisa (née Howard). He was baptized in the Parish of St Jude, Peckham on 20 November 1887. His father was a Printer's Reader. Cullen was educated at Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys.
Ordained ministry[edit | edit source]
Ordained in 1916, his first post was a curacy in Coalbrookdale. During World War I he was a temporary chaplain to the Forces. When peace returned he was vicar of Umzinto in the Diocese of Natal, he later became chaplain and lecturer of Wells Theological College and then Vice-Principal of Leeds Clergy School. In 1926 he became warden of St Paul's Theological College, Grahamstown until his appointment to the episcopate in 1931.
Later life[edit | edit source]
He died on 16 June 1968. in South Africa.
References[edit | edit source]
- Gould, Charles (1924). Grahamstown Cathedral: A Guide and Short History. Grahamstown Diocesan Registry. p. xviii. https://books.google.com/books?id=_vadHwAACAAJ.
- "London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906". London Metropolitan Archives. Ancestry.com. London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA. 2010. http://interactive.ancestry.com/1558/31280_196209-00103/2053634?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3Frank%3D1%26new%3D1%26MSAV%3D1%26msT%3D1%26gss%3Dangs-g%26gsfn%3DArchibald%2B%26gsln%3DCullen%26msydy%3D1887%26msypn__ftp%3DEngland%26cpxt%3D0%26catBucket%3Drstp%26uidh%3Dvbc%26cp%3D0%26pcat%3DROOT_CATEGORY%26h%3D2053634%26recoff%3D8%2B10%2B33%2B45%26db%3DLMAbirths%26indiv%3D1%26ml_rpos%3D5&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- Cullen, Archibald Howard. Who's Who. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whoswho/U50053.
- "Canterbury". 10 September 1898. p. 4 col A. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000338/18980910/014/0004. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1940-41 Oxford: OUP, 1941
- "1911 England Census". Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911. Ancestry.com. 1911 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA. 2011. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Archibald+&gsln=Cullen&msydy=1887&msypn__ftp=England&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=vbc&cp=0&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=43291458&db=1911England&indiv=1&ml_rpos=3. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "No. 29707". 14 August 1916. p. 8007. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29707/supplement/8007
- "New Vice-principal of Leeds Clergy School". 20 June 1923. p. 11 col D. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000687/19230620/242/0011. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- Template:Cite news The Times
- Template:Cite news The Times
[edit | edit source]
- Portraits of Archibald Howard Cullen at the National Portrait Gallery, London
- University of the Witwatersrand
|Anglican Church of Southern Africa titles|
|Bishop of Grahamstown
Robert Selby Taylor
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|