|U.S. soldiers in OH-58D Kiowa and AH-64 Apache helicopters conduct a combat air patrol in Iraq|
An army aviation unit is an aviation-related unit of a nation's army, often described as an air corps. These units are generally separate from a nation's dedicated air force, and usually comprise helicopters and light support fixed-wing aircraft.
The tasks of each army's aviation units are defined slightly different, depending on nationality. Some general characteristics, however, apply to all army aviation units regardless of provenience:
- Logistic and battlefield support
- Tactical transport both internally and externally, of personnel and material
- Assault duties and anti-tank warfare
- Search and rescue
- Medical evacuation
- Reconnaissance and fire support in a combined arms team
- Flying training
- Disaster relief
In order to fulfill their manifold tasks, army aviation mostly uses helicopters. These helicopters can be classified into the following types:
- Attack helicopters for close air support of ground troops and anti-tank role
- Transport helicopters
- Observation helicopters
- Utility helicopters
- CSAR, Casualty Evacuation (CASEVAC)/MEDEVAC helicopters
- Training helicopters
List of national army aviation components
- Argentine Army Aviation
- Army Air Corps (United Kingdom)
- German Army Aviation Corps
- Army Aviation Corps (India)
- Australian Army Aviation
- Brazilian Army Aviation Command
- Colombian National Army Aviation
- French Army Light Aviation
- Indonesian Army Aviation
- Iranian Army Aviation
- Italian Army Aviation
- Malaysian Army Aviation
- Nepalese Army Air Service
- Portuguese Army Light Aviation Unit
- Pakistan Army Aviation Corps
- Spanish Army Airmobile Force
- United States Army Aviation Branch
- 1st Army Aviation Brigade (Greece)
- Allen, Matthew (1993). "Military helicopter doctrines of the major powers, 1945-1992. Making decisions about air-land warfare". Greenwood. ISBN 0-313-28522-5.
- Gunston, Bill (1981). "An illustrated guide to military helicopters". Arco Publishing. ISBN 0-668-05345-3.
- Halberstadt, Hans (1990). "Army Aviation". Presidio. ISBN 0-89141-251-4.
- Sutton, John; Walker, John (1990). "From horse to helicopter. Transporting the British Army in war and peace". Cooper. ISBN 0-85052-724-4.
- Warner, Guy; Boyd, Alex (2004). "Army Aviation in Ulster". Colourpoint Books. ISBN 1-904242-27-8.
- Young, Ralph B. (2000). "Army aviation in Vietnam. An illustrated history of unit insignia, aircraft camouflage and markings". Huey Co.. ISBN 0-9671980-1-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Military helicopters.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|