|Born||November 14, 1920|
|Died||27 November 1944[Note 1](aged 24)|
|Place of birth||Neuendorf|
|Place of death||Eglieni, Latvia|
|Years of service||1940 - 1944|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Artur Bahr (14 November 1920 – 27 November 1944[Note 1]) was a highly decorated Hauptmann in the Wehrmacht (the German Armed Forces) during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Artur Bahr was badly wounded on 25 November 1944 and died 27 November 1944 in a field hospital in Eglieni, Latvia. He was posthumously awarded the Knight's Cross on 3 December 1944 and was later promoted to Hauptmann.
Awards and decorations[edit | edit source]
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (5 September 1941)
- 1st Class (25 July 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver (28 March 1944)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (25 November 1944)
- Infantry Assault Badge (1 August 1941)
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (27 July 1944)
- Eastern Front Medal (12 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 3 December 1944 as Oberleutnant and chief of the 7./Grenadier-Regiment 44
Notes[edit | edit source]
- According to Scherzer died on 28 November 1944 of wounds sustained on 25 November 1944.
References[edit | edit source]
- Scherzer 2007, p. 200.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 103.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.