|Assault Craft Unit TWO|
|Active||December 1959 - Present|
|Garrison/HQ||Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Virginia|
Operation Desert Storm
Operation Iraqi Freedom
War on Terror
Assault Craft Unit TWO , (ACU-2) is an Atlantic Ocean Maritime Prepositioning Force in the United States Navy operated under Naval Beach Group TWO out of Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Virginia. ACU-2's force consists of Landing Craft Utility boats (LCU), Landing Craft Mechanized, Mark 8 boats (LCM), and Maritime Prepositioning Force Utility Boats (MPFUB). The sister unit of ACU-2 is Assault Craft Unit 1 in Naval Amphibious Base Coronado.
Following WWII and the rise of the importance of a Sea to Shore connection, all Landing Craft were organized into Beach Party Battalions. The Beach Party Battalions joined and formed the Naval Beach Group TWO. Furthermore, in 1949 Boat Unit TWO and Beachmaster Unit TWO were added to Naval Beach Group TWO. Boat Unit TWO originally had LCM-6 craft and later gained the LCM-8 in 1957 and gained LCU's in 1959 when it merged with Landing Craft Squadron TWO. After the merger, Boat Unit TWO changed its name to Assault Craft Unit TWO (ACU TWO).
Notable Campaigns or Events
1980 - Cuban Refugees in the Florida Straights
1982 - PLO Evacuation from Beirut
1983 - Grenada Island Evacuation
1992 - Liberation of Kuwait
1994 - Restoration of Democracy in Haiti
1999 - Operation Allied Force
The six departments of ACU-2 are Landing Craft, Administration, Engineering, Medical, Operations, and Supply.
Secondary and support ratings at ACU-2 include Culinary Specialists (CS), Damage Controlmen (DC), Electrician's Mates (EM), Electronics Technicians(ET), Hull Maintenance Technicians (HT), Logistics Specialists (LS), Machinist's Mates (MM), Operations Specialists (OS), Navy Counselors (NC), and Yeomen (YN).
The LC department is divided into two divisions; LCU and MPF.
The MPF Department operate and maintain its LCM-8 and MPFUB crafts locally and are mobilized and flown to theaters to perform maritime prepositioning operations within 24 hours notice.
- "The US Navy -- Fact File: Landing Craft, Mechanized and Utility - LCM/LCU". http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=4200&tid=1600&ct=4.
- "Boat Unit TWO History". http://www.public.navy.mil/surflant/bmu2/Pages/History.aspx.
- Boose, Donald (2008). Over the Beach: US Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War. Combat Studies Institute Press. pp. 444. ISBN 1907521089. https://books.google.com/books?id=HGlEGF2O8z0C&pg=PA444&lpg=PA444&dq=Boat+Unit+TWO+history+-support&source=bl&ots=dPsPBhZfU2&sig=BEOHj7w5r_9nck24U1vyFPn_pZ4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzhpbCt7PKAhXFMz4KHRwDDJMQ6AEIMTAD#v=onepage&q=Boat%20Unit%20TWO%20history%20-support&f=false.
- "ACU 2 History". http://www.public.navy.mil/surflant/acu2/Pages/default.aspx.
- Virginian-Pilot, The. "Norfolk-based ship Nashville ferries evacuees from Lebanon". http://pilotonline.com/news/military/norfolk-based-ship-nashville-ferries-evacuees-from-lebanon/article_b3cd7f1f-8fd5-5720-b13f-398b0afc3d9a.html.
- Virginian-Pilot, The. "Photos: Norfolk ship takes on Lebanon evacuees". http://pilotonline.com/news/military/photos-norfolk-ship-takes-on-lebanon-evacuees/article_625e03de-37fc-55fd-9459-7562a177b022.html.
- MacDonnell, Emily (Jan 2010). "The Surfrider Jan 2010". Department of the Navy, PEO. http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/acu1/Documents/The_Surfrider_JAN_2010.pdf.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|