|Industry||Aerospace and Advanced Research and Development|
|Founded||by McDonnell Douglas|
|Headquarters||St. Louis, Missouri, United States|
|Key people||Darryl Davis (President)|
|Parent||The Boeing Company|
The Phantom Works division is the advanced prototyping arm of the Defense and Security side of The Boeing Company. Its primary focus is developing advanced military products and technologies, many of them highly classified.
Founded by McDonnell Douglas, the research and development group continued after Boeing acquired the company. Its logo was derived from the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom combat jet.
Scope and responsibilityEdit
Phantom Works' organization mirrors that of Boeing's Defense business units, with 'Advanced' versions of each unit (e.g. Advanced Boeing Military Aircraft). The underlying technology is provided by the Boeing Research and Technology (BR&T) organization, who develop new technologies (i.e. Technology Readiness Level 1-4) for use by Boeing's Commercial and Defense units. Phantom Works responsibility is to grow those technologies into prototype (i.e. Technology Readiness Level 4-6) to then transition those prototypes to the business units to turn into products (i.e. Technology Readiness Level 7-9).
Headquartered in St Louis, Phantom Works has projects throughout the majority of Boeing locations in the United States.
- Boeing Phantom Eye: High Altitude Long Endurance, reconnaissance drone
- Boeing Phantom Ray: Unmanned flying test bed for advanced air system technologies
- Boeing X-51 Wave-rider: Hypersonic vehicle
- Boeing Condor: High Altitude Long Endurance concept drone
- McDonnell Douglas YF-23: Black Widow Advanced Fighter concept
- McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II: Advanced Navy Stealth Fighter concept
- X-32 Joint Strike Fighter
- Bird of Prey: stealth fighter UAV demonstrator
- A160 Hummingbird UAV helicopter
- X-45 UCAV
- X-37 Advanced Technology Demonstrator
- Pelican ULTRA
- X-48 Blended Wing Body demonstrator
- X-53 Active Aeroelastic Wing
- Quad TiltRotor (with Bell Helicopter)
- F/A-XX: sixth generation fighter concept
- ↑ Executive Biographies. Boeing. Retrieved on June 29, 2009.
- ↑ Boeing: Boeing Dedicates Virtual Warfare Center in St. Louis
- ↑ Boeing UK - 404
- ↑ Boeing: Boeing Australia Unveils Advanced International Systems Analysis Laboratory
- ↑ http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/research-development/12246876-1.html
- ↑ Inside Phantom Works - The DEW Line
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|