|Maritime Security Task Force|
|Naval Diving Unit|
|Naval Logistics Command|
|Maritime Training and Doctrine Command|
|List of ships of the Republic of Singapore Navy|
|Tuas Naval Base|
|Changi Naval Base|
|Former Brani Naval Base|
Brani Naval Base was a former naval facility of the Republic of Singapore Navy, since the relocation of its facilities to Changi Naval Base and Tuas Naval Base in 2000. The Singapore Police Force's Police Coast Guard Headquarters is now located at the old navy premises.
Pulau Brani was selected to house the naval base in the early 1970s and work started on 17 August 1972, with Brigadier Sir Bruce White as the consultant. The entire project cost SGD 35 million and was completed in January 1974. On 26 January 1974, former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew opened the Singapore Maritime Command Naval Base. The naval base had a new wharf and a supply base complex added 1983 at the cost of SGD 16 million. Part of the base was subsequently redeveloped to accommodate the expansion of the adjacent port, and some of the facilities were relocated to the new Tuas Naval Base in 1995. On 12 October 2000, the remainder of navy's facilities were finally closed. On 23 March 2004, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority's Coastal Command Headquarters was formally opened by the Minister of Home Affairs, Mr Wong Kan Seng.
The Police Coast Guard has since demolished and rebuilt its new headquarters at the old navy premises, which begun operations on 20 March 2006 following the closure of its existing facilities in Kallang Basin.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Closing Ceremony of Brani Naval Base, 12 October 2000". MINDEF. http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2000/oct/12oct00_nr.html. Retrieved 2005-12-28.
- "Building up Singapore's defence construction capabilities, Mr Peter Ho Permanent Secretary (Defence), 17 April 2002". MINDEF. http://www.dsta.gov.sg/home/DisplayPage/ContentPage10.asp?id=654. Retrieved 2005-12-28. [dead link]
- The Singapore Maritime Command was the predecessor of the Republic of Singapore Navy
- "Factsheet - Significant Milestones For Brani Naval Base". MINDEF. http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2000/oct/12oct00_nr/12oct00_fs.html. Retrieved 2005-12-28.
- "Singapore Police Force Annual Report 2006". Singapore Police Force. Archived from the original on 2007-06-07. http://web.archive.org/web/20070607060444/http://spf.gov.sg/prints/annual/2006/06spfa_pcg.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-22.
- "Singapore Police Force Annual Report 2007". Singapore Police Force. http://www.spf.gov.sg/prints/annual/2007/07spfa_pcg.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-09.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|