CTA International is an equal-shares joint venture company between defence companies Nexter and BAE Systems. CTAI is based in Bourges, France and has been established to develop and manufacture case telescoped weapons and ammunition. The company name is an acronym for Case Telescoped Ammunition.
- 1994 - CTAI was created by (at that time) GIAT and Royal Ordnance, with initial activities around a 45mm solution
- 1997 - the 40mm calibre solution is selected
- 1999 - The UK MoD Operational Analysis (OA) study output is shared with US DoD; the solution is integrated into Bradley Fighting Vehicle and the US-UK Tracer prototype vehicle
- 2002 - Further UK MoD & DGA OA studies; risk reduction contract awarded
- 2004 - UK MoD & DGA contract to integrate 40CT into the MTIP and unmanned Toutatis turrets
- March 2008 - CTAI downselected by UK MoD as a mandated item for Warrior IFV and FRES-Scout programmes
The CT40 Case Telescoped Weapon System (CTWS) cannon is designed to fire 40mm telescoped ammunition. This format provides significant ergonomic benefits within vehicles in the space envelope required for the gun and the ammunition storage. However, the selection of the unfielded new design for major programmes has been controversial .
The CT40 40mm cannon has been mandated for the UK Future Rapid Effect System (FRES) SV and Warrior Capability Sustainment Programme (WCSP) programmes. It has also been ordered by the French Army.
In February 2010 CTAI signed a £11m contract with the French and British defence ministries to qualify the CTWS, including environmental testing and the firing of 15,000 rounds.
- ↑ "CTA International Secures New Contract From UK MOD" - BAE Systems
- ↑ http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009gunmissile/7961leslie.pdf CTAI presentation at conference - April 2009
- ↑ "CTWS" - Deagel
- ↑ "WCSP: Britain’s Warriors to Undergo Mid-Life Upgrade" - Defense Industry Daily
- ↑ DefenceNews France, U.K. To Qualify New Cannon
- "CTAi web site" - CTA International
- CT-40 test on Warrior programme "Lockheed Test-Fires Proposed Warrior Cannon" - Defense News
- "CTA invests in MTIP2" - Jane's
- "U.K. picks CTA International gun for Warrior IFVs and FRES" - UPI
- "Ultra wins cannon controls contract" - IBTimes
- "BAE Wins Weapons Contracts" - Wall Street Journal
- "New CV-90 configuration" - Defensa
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|