Portrait of Charlotte Clymer
United States Military Academy|
Georgetown University (BA)
|Occupation||Press secretary, activist, writer|
Charlotte Clymer is an American activist, writer, and the press secretary for rapid response at the Human Rights Campaign, an American LGBTQ civil rights organization.
Life and career
Clymer was raised in central Texas, after moving with her mother from Utah at a young age. She joined the United States Army in 2005, and later enrolled in the United States Military Academy. She served in the military until 2012, when she was honorably discharged. After leaving the Army, she moved to Washington, D.C. and took a job as a visitor services representative at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. After working there for a year, she enrolled at Georgetown University and finished her bachelor's degree.
In 2017, Clymer began working at the Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBTQ advocacy group and political lobbying organization in the United States. In November 2017, she came out as a transgender woman.
Clymer is an outspoken activist on issues including LGBTQ rights, feminism, and veterans' affairs. She has written articles for publications including Glamour, The Independent, NBC News, Vice, and The Huffington Post, and has appeared as a guest commentator on CBS News Sunday Morning.
- Riley, John (July 12, 2018). "Fighting Back: Transgender Activist Charlotte Clymer" (in en-US). https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/07/fighting-back-transgender-activist-charlotte-clymer/.
- Clymer, Charlotte (April 12, 2019). "The Trans Ban Is in Effect, And Service Members Are Now in Jeopardy" (in en). https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bj98nq/trans-military-ban-2019-trump-dont-ask-dont-tell.
- Clymer, Charlotte (May 26, 2016). "The Living, Racist Ghosts of West Point" (in en). https://medium.com/@cmclymer/the-living-racist-ghosts-of-west-point-963cc1300e1d.
- Crowley, Candy (August 10, 2007). "Democratic hopefuls pressed on gay issues at forum". http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/10/gay.forum/.
- Schmidt, Samantha (June 27, 2019). "At first debate, transgender issues were raised like never before — and the community noticed" (in en). https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/06/27/first-debate-transgender-issues-came-up-like-never-before/.
- "On CBS, trans veteran Charlotte Clymer delivered a powerful monologue denouncing Trump's trans ban" (in en). April 8, 2019. https://www.mediamatters.org/cbs/cbs-trans-veteran-charlotte-clymer-delivered-powerful-monologue-denouncing-trumps-trans-ban.
- Bollinger, Alex (July 22, 2019). "The alt-right used a trans woman’s picture to tear her down. Twitter lifted her up.". https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/07/alt-right-used-trans-womans-picture-tear-twitter-lifted/.
- Ioanes, Ellen (August 30, 2019). "Veterans say the Trump administration's confusing new rule may be 'targeting' immigrants who serve in war zones". https://www.businessinsider.com/vets-say-trump-admins-new-rule-may-target-immigrants-serve-2019-8.
- "Charlotte Clymer" (in en). https://www.glamour.com/contributor/charlotte-clymer.
- "Charlotte Clymer" (in en). https://www.independent.co.uk/author/charlotte-clymer.
- Clymer, Charlotte (November 19, 2017). "The myth of the "good guy with a gun," debunked by a veteran" (in en). https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-m-army-veteran-gun-owner-good-guy-gun-theory-ncna821976.
- Clymer, Charlotte (April 7, 2019). "Charlotte Clymer: Being transgender shouldn't matter in the military" (in en). https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charlotte-clymer-on-transgender-ban-in-military/.
- C on Twitter
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|