|Chief of Staff of the Army (Spain)|
|Deputy||Second Chief of Staff of the Army|
|Nominated by||Council of Ministers|
|Appointed by||The King|
|Incumbent||Army General Francisco Javier Varela Salas|
|Website||(Spanish) Website of the Spanish Army Staff|
The Chief of Staff of the Army of Spain (Spanish language: Jefe del Estado Mayor del Ejército de Tierra, JEME ) is the chief of staff of the Spanish Army. Its jurisdiction extends over the entire land branch of the armed forces and it is subordinate to the Chief of the Defence Staff. The position is currently held by Army General Francisco Javier Varela Salas.
The functions of the Chief of Staff of the Spanish Army are collected in the Title I of the Royal Decree 872/2014, of October 10, about the basic organization of the Armed Forces:
- Advises the Minister of Defence in the preparation, direction and development in all matters of the policy of the Ministry that affects the Army.
- Advises the Chief of the Defence Staff about:
- The aspects of the regime of the military personnel of the Army that affect the operability.
- The use of the units of the Army.
- The elaboration and formulation of the concrete aspects of their respective capabilities.
- Defining the rules of combined action of multinational forces in the specific aspects of the Army.
- Advises the Secretary of State of Defence in the planning and direction of the economic policy, of the arms and equipment policy, of the infrastructure policy and of the information, telecommunications and security systems within the Army, collaborating with the Secretary in its development and informing him of its application.
- Advises the Deputy Secretary of Defence in the planning, direction and inspection of the personnel and teaching policy, collaborating with the Undersecretary in its development and informing him of its application.
- The Chief is responsible for training and logistical support in the Army.
- To guarantee the adequate preparation of the Army Force to make available to the operational structure of the Armed Forces.
- It defines the military specifications of the weapons and support systems required by the Army along with the corresponding military infrastructure.
- It develops the military doctrine within the Army.
- It develops the organization of the Army, in accordance with the provisions of the Minister of Defense.
- It watches over the general interests of the military personnel under its command, protecting the regime of rights and freedoms derived from the Constitution and the laws.
- It watches over the morale, motivation, discipline and well-being of Army personnel.
- Decides, proposes or informs, in accordance with the law, in relation to the basic aspects that make up the military career.
- It evaluates the personnel regime and living conditions in bases and barracks of the Army.
- Chief of the Defence Staff
- Chief of Staff of the Navy
- Chief of Staff of the Air Force
- Ministry of Defence
- Spanish Army
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|