Queen Elizabeth II with soldiers of the Household Cavalry.jpg|
Queen Elizabeth II with soldiers of the Household Cavalry at Combermere Barracks
|Ministry of Defence|
Combermere Barracks, Windsor, is a British military installation 0.9 miles (1.4 km) from Windsor Castle.
History[edit | edit source]
The original barracks, known as Clewer Barracks, were designed to accommodate the Royal Horse Guards and were built at Clewer Park between 1796 and 1800. Queen Victoria ordered the replacement of the barracks after a personal visit in 1864 exposed to her its unhygienic conditions. The new barracks, which cover over 20 acres (8 ha), were named after Field Marshal Lord Combermere and include a riding school which was built in 1881. The barracks were renovated in 2006 and are the home of the Household Cavalry Regiment. In 2019 the Household Cavalry Regiment moves to Warminster, but No.18 Troop and the training wing remain. In addition to the regiment moving out the 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards will be moving in and join London District to start their ceremonial duties.
Based units[edit | edit source]
British Army[edit | edit source]
- No.18 Troop
- Training Wing
References[edit | edit source]
- "Wookie look: Queen meets soldier in Chewbacca-style camouflage". Daily Mirror. 26 November 2012. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-meets-soldier-in-chewbacca-style-camouflage-1458430. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Combermere Barracks". Household Cavalry. http://householdcavalry.info/barracks.html#comb. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Household Cavalry set to leave Windsor". https://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/gallery/windsor/109254/household-cavalry-set-to-leave-windsor.html.
- "Major General Bathurst's good news for the Cadets" (in en). http://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/news/16066437.major-general-bathursts-good-news-for-the-cadets/.
- Lancaster, Mark (29 November 2018). "Army:Written question - 194616" (in en). https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2018-11-22/194616.
- "Royal Yeomanry" (in en-GB). https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-armoured-corps/royal-yeomanry/.
- Household Cavalry parade marks end of era in Windsor - BBC News
- Anne's quick costume change! Princess Royal watches Household Cavalry's spectacular Windsor farewell parade hours after attending royal wedding
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|