The Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Albert I (French language: Médaille Commémorative du Règne du Roi Albert I, Dutch language: Herinneringsmedaille aan de Regeerperiode van Albert I ) was a Belgian military medal established on 17 February 1962 to commemorate the reign of King Albert I. It was awarded to serving members of the Belgian Armed Forces and to veterans of the service who served honorably between 18 December 1909 and 18 February 1934.
Award description[edit | edit source]
The Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Albert I was a 32mm in diameter circular bronze medal. Its obverse bore the relief left profile of King Albert I wearing a military helmet adorned with a laurel wreath and a military overcoat with the collar up. The relief inscription in Latin along the upper circumference "ALBERTUS" and at the bottom, "REX" meaning "Albert" "King". On the reverse, a large relief capital letter A under a royal crown between two vertical branches, oak at left and laurel at right, at the bottom, the years "1909" and "1934".
The medal was suspended by a ring through the suspension loop from a 38mm wide silk moiré yellow ribbon with a 2mm wide central green stripe.
Notable recipients (partial list)[edit | edit source]
The individuals listed below were awarded the Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Albert I:
- Lieutenant General Baron Charles de Cumont
- Lieutenant General Baron Albert Crahay
- Cavalry Lieutenant General Marcel Jooris
- Cavalry Major General Baron Beaudoin de Maere d’Aertrycke
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Royal decree of 17 February 1962 creating the Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Albert I". Belgian Defence Ministry. 1962-02-17.
- "Recipients of the Commemorative Medal of the Reign of King Albert I compiled from the ARS MORIENDI web site" (in French). ARS MORIENDI. 2012-07-06. http://www.ars-moriendi.be/index%20FR.htm. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
Other sources[edit | edit source]
- Quinot H., 1950, Recueil illustré des décorations belges et congolaises, 4e Edition. (Hasselt)
- Cornet R., 1982, Recueil des dispositions légales et réglementaires régissant les ordres nationaux belges. 2e Ed. N.pl., (Brussels)
- Borné A.C., 1985, Distinctions honorifiques de la Belgique, 1830-1985 (Brussels)
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|