The Commission for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense (COSTIND; Chinese: 国防科学技术工业委员会) was a civilian ministry within the State Council of the People's Republic of China, responsible for setting policy for defense procurement. It was considered as the Chinese counterpart of DARPA of the USA. The ministry was formed in 1982 to centralize Chinese defense procurement and technology whose responsibility had been distributed among several agencies. In March 2008 COSTIND was merged into a new super bureaucracy called the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) and renamed as the State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND). Former COSTIND deputy director, Chen Qiufa, was named as the new head of SASTIND.
In the past the CAEA was controlled by the CNNC. Following the government reorganization begun in March 1998 the CAEA was placed under the control of the new COSTIND as one of its two subsidiary bureaus. This change separates the CAEA, which is a regulatory body, from the CNNC which is principally interested in promoting nuclear exports and the development of China's nuclear industry.
In the late-1990s, there was a massive reorganization of the Chinese defense industry. The main focus of this reorganization was to separate the purchasing of weaponry which became the responsibility of the General Armaments Division of the People's Liberation Army, the production and development of weaponry which became the responsibility of several different enterprises such as China Northern Industries and China Southern Industries which were state-owned but not under direct state management, and the development of policy for these industries which became the responsibility of COSTIND. Because of the massive change in COSTIND, many analysts referred to the new COSTIND and the old COSTIND.
COSTIND played an important role in the space program of China as one of its subagencies the China National Space Administration is responsible for Chinese space policy.
Universities administrated by COSTIND
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Harbin Engineering University
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Nanjing Aeronautics and Astronautics University
- Nanjing University of Science and Technology
Enterprises administrated by COSTIND
- China Aviation Industry Corporation I
- China Aviation Industry Corporation II
- China North Industries Group Corporation
- China South Industries Group Corporation
- China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation
- China State Shipbuilding Corporation
- China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation
- China Aerospace Machinery and Electronics Corporation
- China National Nuclear Corporation
- China Nuclear Engineering & Construction Group
List of Chairmen
- Chen Bin (陈彬)
- Ding Henggao (丁衡高)
- Cao Gangchuan (曹刚川): 1996-1998
- Liu Jibin (刘积斌): 1998-
- Official website (Chinese)
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Indian counterpart
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|